Unfair Situation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CJUN26, Jul 22, 2011.

1. CJUN26 macrumors newbie

I was experiencing freezing issue on my Macbook Pro upon upgrade of LION OSX on Wednesday. During my whole Wednesday; I experienced more than 7 times of freezing issues from Safari to iTunes. I dealt with it the whole day thinking maybe it's me but apparently it's not. So on Thursday, I called the 1800 apple store on the phone from this site. I spoke with a girl at first, I told her my situation. She told me what to do about using an extra hard drive to link it to my macbook pro with a usb. I did that what happened was, she hung up out of nowhere so I ended up calling back getting another girl. I told her what happened so she picked up where the previous girl was doing. Soon afterwards, basically my computer wouldn't even boot up to lion to do a clean install. Originally my goal was to do a clean install of lion osx to see if it would fix the freezing issue. Apparently the girls didn't know what they where telling me. When I finally got on a phone with a guy on the phone. He said sounds to me you should visit your local apple store. So I did, I visited it. I told the guy at the genius bar and he seemed really really angry with me for some reason. He turned it on and looked not even 1 minute and then said "Ok from this point on I'm going to just send your laptop to repair center, it's going to take 5 to 7 days". Gave me a paper to sign and just simply sent me off. He seemed impatient and not willing to help. I felt like "Now I can't have a laptop do my work on". So I called apple line again, the guy on the phone said "You should've been able to get a replacement right there and then even if your laptop is a eyar old. It sounds like it's not your fault". Today, I called my local apple store. Even the manager didn't help me. He said your laptop is send off to the repair center. It should be ready in 5 days or so". I'm thinking "okay this was useless" What am I supposed to do now? Wait? I feel like this is unfair...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's a bit pointless to ask what to do when your computer is off in the magical Apple repair land. You might as well just wait until you get it back. There's not much you can do at this point, especially since you signed the form giving Apple consent to repair your machine.

3. CJUN26 thread starter macrumors newbie

BUt in your perspective, do you feel like its unfair that all you can do is just agree wit them cos you don't know whats going on either yourself? And you feel like a replacement would've just fix the issue? Idk I'm a virgo I'm just thinking a lot about it lol

4. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

The situation stinks but in reality you should have been more forward when presenting your laptop. Just next time make sure you specify that you need a computer for work, and ask how they could help you fix that. When it comes to customer service I find the best approach is to be direct in how you are feeling. The employee may have just been having a bad day, because I've dealt with many Apple employees and they have been beyond helpful. Luckily its only a few days wait, and who knows you may get a new laptop out of it. Personally, a whole new unit feels a bit strange for a problem like this, seems software related, but I'm no expert.

Also, the 1800MYAPPLE guy wasn't there to witness the problem so his idea of what was necessary may differ from that of the person who actually inspected the laptop. I hope you get it back quickly though!

5. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

itunes is such a piece of crap program that it blows my mind it's an apple product. good god I hate it

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

first of all, i don't think the gender of the customer service people or the people at the store matters.

second, you accepted their resolution, so what is unfair about this?

if it were me, i would have talked to a different genius or asked to speak with the manager about it. and, assuming your computer is under warranty, i would have said that i want someone to look at it and explain to me what is wrong instead of simply passing it off to a service center somewhere.

at any rate, if you feel like you are getting treated unfairly, move on to a manager. at least, that is how it has worked for me in the past.

7. seong macrumors 65816

seong

LOL. Exactly what happened to me. They didn't give me the replacement, so I had to use my Time Machine backup and the old Macbook I had to work on my project. Yes, it is unfair, but you can't do anything about it. Next time, if I were you, I'll keep in mind that whenever I send an Apple product to repair for couple of days, I'll never forget to ask for replacement if it's possible.

8. CJUN26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did ask. And they declined me. They said they don't give out replacement of apple products esp if it's after a year. (SIGH) I don't know. I'm a virgo. So I've been like nagging bout this situation cos it's unfair cos it's not my fault.

9. CJUN26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually talked to a manager today and he said he cannot do a replacement. I told him nicely what happened and yet he said I cannot give you a replacement. And that I am sorry about your situation. So I don't know right now. The apple store here is really small like really small. And the people there are kinda mean. I've heard reviews about them but what can I do? I live in this town lol.

10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Why do you keep saying you're a Virgo? What does that even mean?

Anyway, nothing about this situation is unfair. You signed off saying you were okay with them sending it off to fix it, and are in no way entitled to a replacement. The warranty says they'll fix your laptop, not replace it.

11. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Life isn't fair. Get over it. They're going to fix your computer even though it's over a year old. Do you have Apple care? How are you so sure it's not your fault? I'm an Aquarius, apparently we don't get along well with Virgos. :p

12. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

Don't sweat it bro, you're a virgo. Maybe the apple guy was a leo? Or perhaps a sagitarius?

Honestly I have no idea because I'm a gemini, let me go ask my friend the cancer.

you know what, forget it! If you were a taurus we wouldn't be having this problem in the first place! :mad:

13. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I feel you, lol. Just don't over-think it, and know for next time.

14. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apples unwritten replacement policy is that after three major hardware repairs, they'll consider a replacement.

It sounded like you were dealing with a software issue, but if it got sent to the depot, it's likey for a hardware repairs.

Is this your Macs first hardware repair?

15. Unpleasant macrumors member

Run a linux livecd, save everything to a hdd or flash drive, run the Lion recovery partition and reformat?

I guess thats one way of doing it.

But sucks to hear about your situation.