Unfamiliar with media players

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Yeti60, May 29, 2009.

1. Yeti60 macrumors member

I am trying to watch some episodes of Leverage on TNT's website, however when I brought up the screen a download popped up for something called Flip4Mac, is this some sort of media player? How do I watch these videos off of TNT's site?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

It's a plugin that allows you to play windows media files. An essential download.

3. MedHead macrumors regular

+1

It really is essential, especially if youre going to be viewing lots of files in windows formats. I got it first day and I really dont even realise its there 98% of the time!

4. Yeti60 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I downloaded it... now how do I use it? :p lol I tried bringing it up and all I got was this strange box that looked kind of like the iTunes store. :confused:

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You download it, install it, then you restart your internet browser and you should be able to watch the video in your browser now.

To check if it is installed, open System Preferences, you should see Flip4Mac WMV in the 'Other' section at the bottom.

6. Yeti60 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I see it listed in System Preferences...

but it still doesn't work. Whenever I go to the site or click on a specific episode it just re-downloads the thing. Or is it just downloading updates for it?

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Try a restart.

8. Yeti60 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, now its saying "Sorry! This clip requires microsoft windows to play"

so is there any way around that, or will it not work at all?

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

What's strange with the tnt.tv site, is that it wants me to install Flip4Mac 2.1.3.xx even though I already have 2.2.1.11 all setup and functional.

I think the site is just f'd and doesn't want to work with FF on the Mac for me. It appears to work just dandy in Safari though. Just to be sure, I updated to the most recent Flip4Mac, and in Safari, I didn't get the auto-download prompt for the Flip4Mac .dmg file.

10. Yeti60 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, that pretty much settles it. They don't accommodate Mac users. They're worried about piracy.

Thanks for the help people.