Unfornate PC Observation at BestBuy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Harlowgold1, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Harlowgold1 macrumors member

Hi All!
    I went into BestBuy yesterday regarding a Canon camcorder issue. I saw the line and I thought what the heck is going on here? Then I found it was for the Geek Sqaud and I just needed customer service. I could not believe the number of new laptops and computers that were needing serviced!!!! Some were recently purchased and I was saddened when I heard the purchaser's stories. It seemed like there were so many major HP and Dell computer hardware failures. I typically do not get into the PC/Mac argument but I had to smile in that I wished Microsoft was filming this as their promotion. Yes you can save a lot of money with a Windows machine - but you also spend a lot in repairs - so sad!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Sorry, but this isn't new information.:rolleyes:
    This is why we own Macs here.

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Tallest Skil? Is that you logged in as Geofreak? He's just telling his experience. Lay off.

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Exactly what I was thinking :p

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I never said there was anything wrong with it...:rolleyes:

6. lococo72 macrumors newbie

lococo72

wow

what a reply? sometimes i wish i can teach poeple how to answer a statement politely

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Did you take into consideration that there are several times more people buying PC's than Macs? It seems statistically impossible for PC repairs to be on par with Mac repairs, even if Macs had a horrendous failure rate.

8. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I think Apple should go there to film their next commercial.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Gee whiz, that sounds a lot like the last time I went to Apple for support. Wait in a line twenty deep with a ninety minute backup at the "genius" bar. There were so many Apple computer failures! Maybe Apple and Microsoft should also film that for future commercials, you know, for comparison?

10. 0makol16 macrumors regular

0makol16

That's because most of those people were PC users who switched and have no clue what the hell they're doing and kill their Mac or claim it's broekn since they installed something wrong or try to install PC programs... It's kind of funny imo

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

Right... I've never once seen someone claim that. I stand in line behind disk failures, logic board problems, screwy screens, bad video cards, fried USB ports, etc. Maybe the occasional kernel panic... Face it, they use the EXACT same hardware systems. Apple's failrate is probably just about the same.

Also, how do you know that the people in line at Best Buy just don't know what they're doing with the OS either, since that's what you think everyone goes to Apple for?

12. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Yeah, but the number of PC's sold from a single store should be roughly the same as the number of Macs sold from a store of similar size. So your point doesn't hold.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Someone has to return to the original place of purchase to get their computer fixed? :confused:

14. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I think(guess), out of 10 computer sales at BestBuy, 9 are PCs and 1 is a Mac.

15. 0makol16 macrumors regular

0makol16

From what I have seen and heard at my 3 local Apple stores it's usually user error and not hardware error, I have experienced some hardware failure but that's only form older Macs that I owned (oldest is 5 years old and logic board died a month ago) And btw ur last sentence made no sense. The os is usally the last thing people think of when buying a computer, people go for well known brand names, customer service, realiability, or fanboy reasons.

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

You say that people go to Apple for support with software issues more often than hardware problems because they don't know what they're doing with the software. So how do you know that this isn't the same at another store?

Also, this is comparing a third-party insurance program against the manufacturers' warranties, which is again an unfair judgement.

17. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Just think of a commercial where Mac and PC are at a Best Buy and PC is waiting in a very long line for the Geek Squad. Mac could say that with Apple, you can book up to 48 hours in advance instead of waiting in a long line.

Hmm, I think I need to copyright this idea before Apple steals it. :D

18. Harlowgold1 thread starter macrumors member

This was just an observation and I apologize for lacking empirical data. This is a store the serves a small city. I am talking about a line of 2-3 people. They had chairs for them to sit in due to the lines. This was on Thursday at 1:30PM and we are talking about computers that were DOA! I have not observed this in an Apple store. I have a Dell as well and it is now five years old and have not had any problems. I just thought it was interesting and sad...

Jenny:p

19. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Well, with Apple owning only 5% of the market, it's not surprising that 95% of the people in the queue are owners of Windows PCs.

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

You mean book an appointment up to 48 hours in advance to tell them when you will enter the line? Then you can wait a week for your repair. Or just take the <48 hour turnaround time that almost every manufacturer can give you for mail-in at no more charge.

21. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

To be fair, I'm sure if you go to an Apple store you'll find a high proportion of Mac users with problems.

Every time I've been to the Genius bar to get hardware fixed or replaced it's been full.

22. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Yeah, but my point was that you don't see similarly long lines (as described by the OP) at an Apple store or Apple reseller (of similar size and presumably selling as many Macs as the Best Buy sells Pee Cees).

23. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

On the design and software, nothing can beat Apple. But even Apple's manufacturing quality is very spotty. I've bought, and helped buy 5 macs in the past 2 years and 4 of them have had hardware problems. 2 had to be exchanged within a week of purchase.

The Geniuses were very helpful and resolved the issues but quality across the board (cars, computers, tvs, etc, etc) gets worse and worse as manufacturers try to maximize their margins by lowering costs.

24. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Save your money on the patent fees. ;)

Good support is essential to a company's success, but why would any company want to advertise that customers would ever HAVE any problems with their purchase.

25. JustLikeYou macrumors member

I can't even remember the last time I was in a Best Buy! Course I'm a recluse most of the time anyways :) I do remember that the stores around me, none of them seemed very knowledgeable or helpful regarding *any* type of computer, Mac or PC... it was all about the TVs and stereo systems.

And I've never had a problem at the Genius Bar. I book my appointment ahead of time, show up early to confirm my appointment, and wait around for my specified time while playing with the new equipment. I never had an issue with waiting late, and always had my problems fixed the same day. Being nice to the Genius Bar person and having a sense of humor instead of acting mean goes a LONG way.