Unfortunately, Apple drops 3.5mm optical out...

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by yourtoys7, Nov 8, 2018.

1. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, Apple drops 3.5mm optical out..., I was really hoping to set this up for my new HT room and my receiver only accepts optical sound. The funny thing is apple tv gen.3 ($89. cost) has optical out and 1150. after tax basic New mac mini doesn't.
    Internal speaker, works. Headphones plunged in, works, optical 3.5mm, no sound.
    Im gonna try usb to optical, if this wont work, mac mini going back :(

2. Snappers macrumors member

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Another option is an hdmi splitter. Some models even have actual optical out ports.

4. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Most people these days that want a home theatre, would be using an AMP that supports HDMI audio. Which is probably why Apple didn't see a need to include optical. Rather than trying to get a USB sound card, you would probably be better of putting your money towards a AV AMP that supports 4K.

6. archer75 macrumors 68020

Exactly. Wait for a good deal. I got my Denon x3300w from frys shortly after it came out. Retail was $999 and I got it for $370 and run it as a 5.1.2 using a ATV4k. I also have a nvidia shield, xbox one and oppo 203 hooked up to it.
    It's long past time to upgrade.

7. thisismyusername macrumors 6502

I'm surprised anybody still cares about optical out. Receivers that support HDMI have been around for years.

8. yourtoys7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have Rotel receiver, it’s older but looks and works like new, cost over $3000. New, I don’t wanna replace something that works well for me and sounds good in 5.1
    I’ll have to looks into USB/ optical or will return and keep atv3 and steam from comp. I’m main room.
    I was really looking forward to do many things w this mini....