Unfortunately, no good Apple Store experience for me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scott90, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Scott90 macrumors 6502

Let me first of all say that "no good" doesn't necessarily mean bad as they just followed their own policy, but after having read all those good stories here, I got my hopes up.

So, last week the sleep/wake button of my iPhone got stuck in the phone. I could still press it, but it required a lot more force than is normal. It normally takes me about 4 or 5 really hard presses to get it to lock. Unlock isn't so much the issue, I can do that with the home button.

Anyway, since I got my iPhone in August of last year, I was hoping for the free replacement, even though I read about the AppleCare+ deal (which I at that point wouldn't be able to get anyway as I was already out of warranty). So I took my day off yesterday, drove 3.5 hours to the nearest Apple Store, and had my fingers crossed.

But nope, 75 days out of warranty. I would have to pay $149 to get a replacement phone. No upgrade eligibility and not the kind of money I want to spend right now, so after ten minutes I drove off with my still broken iPhone.

Of course, technically they are only following policy, but after having read all the stories here about people getting replacement iPhones for dropping it on the floor or in the toilet (which is pretty much the user's fault), I was hoping that because of something I can't really help (it just happened out of the blue, didn't drop it or anything), I really thought they would replace it.

2. doboy macrumors 68000

I think expecting a free replacement 75 days post warranty is bit too much.

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

I'm pretty sure AppleCare+ only applies to the iPhone 4S and only if purchased within 30 days of purchasing the phone. Any previous iPhone model would only be eligible for normal AppleCare.

4. Dnix macrumors 6502

Their "policy" is apparently bendable.

My sister dropped her phone and shattered the front. She made me spend all this time, trying to figure out how to DIY replace. I told her not bother going to Apple and ask for a free replacement, because they would laugh at her. She already had the phone for months.

So what happens? One day, she's down by the Apple store. She decides to ask them just in case. Walks out with a brand new phone.

Moral of the story: make sure you are a girl, if you're going to try. :rolleyes:

5. PigDog macrumors member

Sorry to hear that, I do know that some credit card companies do extend the warranty on purchases. American Express matches up to one extra year. I hope your purchase was by AmEx.

6. doboy macrumors 68000

but was it 75 days post warranty?

7. Pedro Julio macrumors member

Yup. Sounds like crap luck, but them's the rules and them's the breaks.

Unless you're a nice cute chick. Nobody gets free stuff like nice cute chicks.

8. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I disagree. People on here plus hundreds more on Apples forums get free replacements for stuff that is there own fault like dropping it, getting water damage.

These phones should come with a 2 year warranty because of how fragile they are.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

Apple genius bar techs have discretion to an extent in such cases. They can replace phones outside of the warranty period even if it's that long. Usually it's a one time deal.

10. Dnix macrumors 6502

Oh sorry, you meant 75 days long after the warranty was expired? What did you expect?

It was technically still under warranty, but barely. Still, she should've got nothing. ZERO. I was just pointing out that sometimes the rules are broken. :rolleyes:

11. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Evidently...

That's what I thought, but the genius (who wasn't really nice about it either..) implied I should have gotten that...

Actually, I think it may have been. Good point, I will definitely look this up. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, exactly. I know it's out of warranty, so I know IF they replace it, it's not because they are required to. However, I thought it was safe to assume that I'd get a new one considering I didn't do anything stupid that caused it, while at the same time (or I guess, only a month or two earlier) people who are just not careful enough and drop it get the phone replaced for free.

12. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

$150 seems pretty crazy for a replacement just for one button. :eek:

13. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought, but they don't repair it, they give me a new one. The screen could be shattered, none of the buttons could work anymore, and it could have been completely demolished and I guess I'd still have to pay that same amount.

The genius at this store said not anymore. Whether that's really true or not, I don't know, but she admitted that they did it in the past, but not anymore.

14. doboy macrumors 68000

I'm not saying they can't do it, but "expecting" that they will is unreasonable, especially if it's that far out of warranty. Sure who doesn't want longer warranty, but it won't happen unless the cost goes up (that's why there is the new AppleCare+).

I know they have the discretion. They replaced my laptop battery for free 60 days after warranty since I mistakenly thought that my battery was on recall (which it wasn't). However, if I didn't think it was on recall, I wouldn't have EXPECTED a free replacement.

15. Dnix macrumors 6502

You could've just got the new one for a little more than $150.

Did they give you the same model?

16. doboy macrumors 68000

Are you asking me? If so, I thought they were on recall (3-4 years ago), but was going to buy one when they told me mine wasn't recalled when they just opened a new battery from a retail box and gave it to me for free.

17. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Being a girl definitely helps, I know plenty of girls who have gotten replacements even if their phone had water damage.

Whenever I went to Apple with an issue, they always gave me a hard time where they were reluctant to replace it even if the issue was obvious. Now, I just send my girlfriend to the Apple Store. She explains the problem and acts clueless and BAM, she gets a new one. She's in and out in 10 minutes.

18. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't want to cough up $150 to get it replaced, so I took my own phone back. If by "a little more" you mean $400 more, then yes, I could have gotten the new one, but that's a little out of budget.

19. Dnix macrumors 6502

Oh, no I meant perhaps a phone with a plan. But I understand if people would rather get it no "strings attached".

20. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I am already on a plan and not eligible for an upgrade until April. There's a $250 fee + the price of the phone ($299 for 32GB, which is what I have and want) = $549.

21. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

They replaced my wireless keyboard that was three months out of warranty and with no proof of purchase, all because the backspace key stopped working.

22. cababah macrumors 68000

Sorry, you drove over 3 hours to get to an Apple store??????

Personally, if it was more than 30 minutes away, I would just send it to them and have them ship it back.

23. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I agree with you there. Excepting a replacement when your phone is out of warranty like the OPs is unreasonable.

My advice to the OP, keep trying. Apple is far away from you though, but i'm telling you that there are geniuses who will give you a replacement.

24. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

I called them, they said it was going to be $199 to get it replaced if I sent it in for replacement. I figured $50 on gas was a cheaper solution, hoping I'd get a new one. Turns out it wasn't, so I made a bet and lost.

Expecting something and then making a fuss would have been unreasonable. You cannot tell me that after tens of stories here in which people get free replacements for their own mistakes, it is unreasonable for me to expect me to get a new one either. I drove there in high hopes of getting a new phone, but I knew very well that they may not give me anything.

I'm not going to make the drive again to "try again" in any case. It cost me about $50 and an entire day to get there and back. If I have to try it three more times I'm out the same money (and a lot of time) as I would have been if I sent it in to get a replacement.

25. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

To expect a replacement for any product in the world that is out of warranty is not pretty smart in my opinion. Apple should have replaced it too. I see Apple replace hundreds of broken iPhones, water damage and those are all out of warranty. You should have gotten one. Especially since your button broke. Thats Apples poor build quality.