unhappy noob needs advice please

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Undertoker, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Undertoker macrumors newbie

Hi guys
    this is my first post here
    im john 44 from the uk
    im not happy

i have an iPhone 4 and an ipad2

i have upgraded to iOs6 on my 64GB ipad2 WiFi only , big mistake, im gutted.

the WiFi has lost its range significantly, im reading the same all over with iOs6

the you tube is now only safari based or the iPhone low res version

the maps is a joke, im a funeral director and NEED maps working as it was, with a street level view to be able to do recces on addresses prior to funerals.

now im told and Ive read you cant backtrack to 5.1.1 which i personally think is a fekin disgrace.

i feel like throwing my ipad2 in the bin in honesty, but im wondering if its worth jail-breaking it to be able to run 5.1.1 ?

i don't really have a clue how its done though i am reasonably computer literate.
    can anyone point me in the right direction for a novice and advise me if its a wise move
    I'm really pissed off with Apple tbh, i feel very let down.

MY ipad2 is just a 64GB WiFi only model
    thanks in advance for any help or replies
    John

2. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Even jailbreaking won't allow a downgrade. Once you've upgraded IOS you can't go back so you're stuck at 6.0. IMO this is one of the worst things about IOS devices is you can never down grade (that and being tied to iTunes).

3. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

From what I've read, apple checks it out and won't give you the go ahead. Some who've tried it are having a mixture of problems. On my computer, 5 was in the recycle bin and I hit restore, but it didn't work. The drain on my battery is terrible and when the last version of 5 came out, it actually ran longer.
    The App Store "Purchased" crashes each time I try it.
    We pay for our phones and if we decide we want 5 back, apple should allow it. I have the iPhone 4.

4. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

go to an apple store? see if they can help (or call apple).
    maybe you can trade for a similar refurb still on ios5...

check out the youtube official app, or (my preference), jasmine (great for youtube).

maps...that's a whole other story...

5. Undertoker thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies guys =0(

this is definitely the last time i buy any apple product

they lost me as a customer today

6. Heb 7:4 macrumors regular

I did the same as you mate and managed to downgrade. You may still be able to go back (not sure if it is still working but it worked for me)

Download the 5.1.1 firmware here

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Then google "how to downgrade to 5.1.1" and you'll find instructions how to do it. Basically put phone into recovery mode connected to iTunes, hit restore (holding down shift for PC, different key on Mac) then point iTunes to where you saved 5.1.1

If it still works (sure someone else will confirm if it's still doing it) it will restore to 5.1.1. If you have a backup from before you upgraded you can use that, otherwise you'll have to set it up as a new device.

Good luck, hope it helps.

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I personally haven't had any issues, but I'm not saying the ones reported aren't real.

Wait a bit to see if Apple fixes a lot of this stuff. Some of it is just Apple needing to move on to make something better. I'm a bit surprised they got in the maps business, but when you think about it, all these millions of iPhones out in the wild and all able to report problems and track traffic could really help to make a very nice app once it gets rolling.

I think I read somewhere Google has submitted a Maps app to the App Store. That should solve that problem at least.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Safari-based Youtube was always better than the app anyway. You really should just be using that.

As for the maps, hopefully they'll show up in the app store soon. Here's hoping.