unhappy with 30" display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by emt8q5, Sep 4, 2008.

1. emt8q5 macrumors member

A month ago I purchased a 30" HP LP 3065 S-IPS display. I was initially looking at an 30" ACD, but after doing some research I decided on the HP because it appeared to use the same panel (updated?) as the ACD and was significantly less expensive.

From the first time I powered the display up, I was shocked to see a highly noticeable grainy appearance to the screen apparently caused by the anti-glare coating on the panel itself. This phenomenon is only noticeable on light colors (whites and grays in particular) and causes an almost "sparkly" effect I initially thought the display was damaged and requested a swap. Newegg was very friendly and swapped the monitor out for a new one...which was the exact same! Unfortunately Newegg will not allow me to return the monitor for a refund (monitor return policy) and I don't see any point in switching out the monitor. I also went to the apple store recently and saw what seemed to be the same phenomenon on the store's 30" ACDs.

At this point, I have no choice but to continue using this monitor even though I have not (and will not) get used to the horrible anti-glare coating on the display. I hope that by posting this, I might dissuade other users from buying a current generation 30" display with the LG S-IPS panel...or if you do, buy from a place that lets you return for a refund.

Hope you have better luck than I did!

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's been that way on every 23/30 ACD for ages. Some of the Dells have been better in that regard for example and I'm sure there are others, but many others are similar. Perhaps you could change how you sit in relation to ambient light.

3. emt8q5 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I must be extremely sensitive to the phenomenon in that case. Before I purchased the monitor, when I was doing research on the Apple ACD as well as the dells and HP (all of which use the same LG panel as I understand) all I saw were extremely positive comments from happy customers.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You could well be, but what you have to bear in mind is that many of these happy experiences are because they've never had anything like it before and are comparing from a sample of one.

I know exactly what you mean about the grain, but you'll see variations of it on practically all monitors. The Apple, if anything, is slightly worse in that respect than the HP.

As I said, I would suggest playing with how you look at the monitor in terms of the ambient light (from where, what type) falling on it.

5. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

The graininess could come from having a larger pixel pitch - the distance between pixels. I was rather disappointed with a 30" ACD when I used one in an Apple store, and haven't even considered buying one since. That and I'm too frugal to shell out that much anyways. :p

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It has nothing to do with pixel density. The Dell 2707WFP for example - a monitor with significantly lower pixel density - is essentially 'grainless' in comparison to Apple's higher-end monitors. It's the screen front cover/coating and it may also come down to the misplaced impression/expectation of superior quality of the Apple gear that many Apple enthusiasts have, I guess.

7. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

You have to remember, That Apple makes these for professional use. They are designed for use in a studio or work shop. Were you have all kinds of backlight reflections. They can be viewed at almost every angle and still produce quality color.
    The grainy look comes from anti-reflective matte coating.
    I actually like the slight grainy affect, for my photography work. I't looks more natural to me. Most of my work I send out for printing. I request for a matte finish.

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

We have a couple of the HP 30"s that came with one of the xw's and what I was saying was that if the OP had a problem with it, he'll have even more issues with the ACD - so to make do with what he has even if he sees it as an issue.

As far as the ACD is concerned, the 'grainless' or 'not as grainy' matte monitors I have from other manufacturers respond more positively if anything to differing ambient light arrangements. The coating / texturing doesn't really diffuse point light sources behind you significantly better than the regular matte panel coverings. Not that either bothers me a great deal, but if it weren't for the fact that we've already bought a (literal) truckload of 23/30 ACD's from our initial splurge I'd probably have gone all-Dell monitor-wise, apart from our Eizos. Indeed, any patchiness in the light levels of the monitor comes all too typically from the Cinema Display panel itself. What was it that Jobs said about other manufacturers getting Apple's reject panels?

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Every matte display I've ever seen is a bit grainy. Nothing to worry about.