Unhappy with Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nebo1ss, Jun 2, 2011.

1. nebo1ss, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I recently installed an Apple Airport Extreme mainly for the benefit of the 802/11n, printer and Disk sharing.

The basic routing and wireless work well, the printer sharing is working very well but I am having so many problems with the Disk sharing that it is driving me crazy.

1. The system is so slow that it took three days to back up my macbook pro using time machine. I have seen similar complaints from others with suggestion such as switching off Journalling, closing Finder etc but non of them appear to work for me.

2. The shared disk is generally unreliable and would often not be accessable and have to be taken off and re-inserted. Sometimes the disk appears to be on line but any attempt to write to it results in an error 50.

3. Today I deleted about 100 GIG of movies and the space was not made available to be reused. I eventually disconnected it from the share connected directly to the laptop and ran disk utility. Needless to say a large number of errors were shown up and had to be repaired. This is the second time I had to repair the disc in the last week.

4. The disk is formatted HFS plus Journalled.

It would seem the concept is a great one but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. I read someone that Apple does not support using a shared disc on Extreme for Time machine backups. I assumed this was to enable them to sell more Time Machine units but maybe there is a fundamental problem.

Anyone who has been through this and found a solution your views would be welcome.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Airport Extreme, or Airport Express? Your statement doesn't match the thread title.

This is normal over wi-fi. The first backup takes a long time. Directly connecting a USB or FireWire drive to the Mac speeds this up greatly; alternatively, connect the USB drive directly to the Mac for the first backup, then connect it to the router for wireless access.

Are you using the same disk for backing up AND for storing data for access? That might be causing part of the problem.

That space won't show up until you empty the trash. If you deleted those movies from the shared drive, empty the trash while it's plugged in and mounted.

Hope you can get things working!

3. nebo1ss thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the suggestions.