Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
Ok, I love everything everything about my Series 5 except the gold color of the aluminum case. It is PINK.

I have an appointment with the Apple store regarding the E key on my macbook tomorrow.

Does anyone know how much trouble I will have doing an exchange for a different color?

I ordered to gold milanese loop band. Not really a gold tone either.

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Ok, I love everything everything about my Series 5 except the gold color of the aluminum case. It is PINK.

I have an appointment with the Apple store regarding the E key on my macbook tomorrow.

Does anyone know how much trouble I will have doing an exchange for a different color?

You shouldn’t have a problem at all.

From Apples website

U.S. Returns & Refunds Policy
Standard Return Policy
There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased online from Apple:

You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either online or at an Apple Retail Store, can be returned to Apple. Apple products purchased through other retailers must be returned in accordance with their respective returns and refunds policy.
Please ensure that the item you're returning is repackaged with all the cords, adapters and documentation that were included when you received it.

CarolG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2013
Northern California
I had the gold aluminum Series 4 and I just got the Series 5. It’s not a yellow gold but it doesn’t look pink to me. I do not like the SS gold Milanese loop band’s color it looks like a dull bronze. Not gold really. Can you just exchange the band and not the watch?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The change in gold color from Series 0-2 to the new one in Series 3-5 made me cheer for the stainless steel gold as that is now the only acceptable gold for me. It did go too pink - was happy with the original aluminum gold, but yea go stainless if you want a good looking gold these days :(

CarolG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2013
Northern California
The change in gold color from Series 0-2 to the new one in Series 3-5 made me cheer for the stainless steel gold as that is now the only acceptable gold for me. It did go too pink - was happy with the original aluminum gold, but yea go stainless if you want a good looking gold these days :(
Is the Gold Stainless Steel Watch the same color gold as the Gold Stainless Steel Milanese Loop? I do not like the color of that band. Looks dull. But I have almost ordered the SS Gold watch every time I upgrade.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Is the Gold Stainless Steel Watch the same color gold as the Gold Stainless Steel Milanese Loop? I do not like the color of that band. Looks dull. But I have almost ordered the SS Gold watch every time I upgrade.

I have the Series 5 SS AW with the gold Milanese Loop, and no, they are not the same color. The watch is a bright gold (very different from the aluminum version), and the band is a duller color, but it very much depends on the light. I like the contrast, and I’m getting complemented on the watch. I wouldn’t want the Loop to be the same color. Of course, you could order the watch with a different band.

Last edited:

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I have the Series 5 SS AW with the gold Milanese Loop, and no, they are not the same color. The watch is a bright gold (very different from the aluminum version), and the band is a duller color, but it very much depends on the light. I like the contrast, and I’m getting complemented on the watch. I wouldn’t want the Loop to be the same color. Of course, you could order the watch with a different band.
Do you happen to know how the Series 5 gold stainless compares to the Series 4? Is it brighter or about the same? I loved the Series 4 color. Would you mind posting pics of your current watch?

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
I really hate to throw more money at it to solve the color issue. I will be at an Apple store tomorrow. I will look at the SS version.

I don't know that it is work $150 more especially since I will probably replace it in 24 months anyway.

Maybe I'll swap the watch and the band for space gray and same with the milanese loop.

Reactions: determined09

CarolG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2013
Northern California
Does the gold stainless steel watch show scratches on the watch? I’ve worried about that. Most of them I see have lots of scratches on them.

I had to buy a new 12.9 inch iPad Pro last week too to replace mine that had issues. I hated to spend the extra $300 plus tax for the SS watch added to the $1500 for the iPad. Next upgrade I plan to go for the Gold SS though. I have had the Series 0. S1, S4 & S5 gold aluminum.
[automerge]1569123243[/automerge]

[automerge]1569123288[/automerge]

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Does the gold stainless steel watch show scratches on the watch? I’ve worried about that. Most of them I see have lots of scratches on them.

I had to buy a new 12.9 inch iPad Pro last week too to replace mine that had issues. I hated to spend the extra $300 plus tax for the SS watch added to the $1500 for the iPad. Next upgrade I plan to go for the Gold SS though. I have had the Series 0. S1, S4 & S5 gold aluminum.

It absolutely does show scratches. And there’s really no way to remove them, unless they are so light that you can barely see them. That’s why I decided to go ceramic this time around.

Reactions: CarolG

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016

Didn't you look at the watch before you bought it? Even on the pictures on Apple's website you can clearly see, it's a kind of rose gold on the aluminum Series 5.?

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Do you happen to know how the Series 5 gold stainless compares to the Series 4? Is it brighter or about the same? I loved the Series 4 color. Would you mind posting pics of your current watch?

Yes, I think the Series 4band 5 SS Gold watches are the same color. Here are some pictures of my Series 5 watch. I’ve also ordered the black leather loop.

Attachments

• 804EC655-1A49-4127-8C3C-E5FE31530017.jpeg
    804EC655-1A49-4127-8C3C-E5FE31530017.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 349
  • 357BC588-6D65-42BB-96B8-38F8C09F66AC.jpeg
    357BC588-6D65-42BB-96B8-38F8C09F66AC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 437
  • 6B0F3B0A-741A-4E5D-903C-5867A781AB95.jpeg
    6B0F3B0A-741A-4E5D-903C-5867A781AB95.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 323

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010

I hope you're able to get a color you're happy with today.

Yes, I think the Series 4band 5 SS Gold watches are the same color. Here are some pictures of my Series 5 watch. I’ve also ordered the black leather loop.

Thank you!

nikkisharif

macrumors regular
May 22, 2019

I don’t have any scratches on my GSS S4. It still looks brand new & I don’t baby my watch. I’m sure that’s due to the PVD coating. I absolutely love it.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I waited to see the difference between the aluminum gold and the SS gold. World of difference. Had a S1 in space gray and was tired of the black look. Bought the S5 SS in gold with the Milanese band. Great looking watch. Happy birthday to me?

Yes, I love mine also. See my pictures in above post.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I waited to see the difference between the aluminum gold and the SS gold. World of difference. Had a S1 in space gray and was tired of the black look. Bought the S5 SS in gold with the Milanese band. Great looking watch. Happy birthday to me?
Yes, I love mine also. See my pictures in above post.

Me three!

Had a Silver SS S0, S2 then Black SS S3, then went aluminium for S4 knowing whatever happened I was upgrading for S5. LOVING the SSG with Milanese. Simply in my eyes the best looking AW ever :)

EDIT: Technically Happy Birthday to me too as I bought 90% of it with birthday Apple vouchers :)

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
Just got home from the Apple store. Swapped for the Space Gray and Space Gray Milnese loop band.

I held the aluminum gold side-by-sde with the SS gold. No comparison at all. I don't see home Apple can call that aluminum case gold.

The Store rep said that they had a lot returned yesterday and today wit the amp "pink" complaint that I had.

I also put my S3 gold loop band next the the S5 gold loop. Same problem there.

I am happy now.

Reactions: rosegoldoli

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014

Yeah, i also do not like the new gold. It's more like rose gold. On the iPhone 8, Apple Watch Series 4 and 5, iPad 6th and 7th gen... MacBook Air... everywhere.

Reactions: rosegoldoli

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
Just got home from the Apple store. Swapped for the Space Gray and Space Gray Milnese loop band.

I held the aluminum gold side-by-sde with the SS gold. No comparison at all. I don't see home Apple can call that aluminum case gold.

The Store rep said that they had a lot returned yesterday and today wit the amp "pink" complaint that I had.

I also put my S3 gold loop band next the the S5 gold loop. Same problem there.

I am happy now.
Yeah, i also do not like the new gold. It's more like rose gold. On the iPhone 8, Apple Watch Series 4 and 5, iPad 6th and 7th gen... MacBook Air... everywhere.

i only am okay with the new gold because it means rose gold isnt technically gone but i think they should really go back to offering the pink gold and the yellow gold they did before

Reactions: CarolG

CarolG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2013
Northern California
I have a lot of 14k rose gold jewelry so I actually love the gold aluminum watch. I just don’t like the SS Gold Milanese loop. It looks Bronze not Gold. It looks dull and old the day I got it.

Reactions: tl01

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
i only am okay with the new gold because it means rose gold isnt technically gone but i think they should really go back to offering the pink gold and the yellow gold they did before

You must love the rose gold. That's fine with me, to each their own. I mean, rose gold looks pretty, yes, but i do not want a pink phone. Also because of the fact that it wouldn't fit me. The yellow gold from the iPhone 5s / 6 / 6s / 7 i have loved. Had both my 5s and 6s in this color and i loved them and i would get them again in this color. Now i have to stick with space gray or silver. Why is the color called Gold if it's rose gold? I don't think it doesn't make much sense to offer a rose gold color while removing the regular Gold option. Apple should keep both. With the iPhone 8 for example, it's a combination of both. Gold and Rose Gold. Yet it's to pink for my taste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.