Unhappy with color of Gold S5.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
You must love the rose gold. That's fine with me, to each their own. I mean, rose gold looks pretty, yes, but i do not want a pink phone. Also because of the fact that it wouldn't fit me. The yellow gold from the iPhone 5s / 6 / 6s / 7 i have loved. Had both my 5s and 6s in this color and i loved them and i would get them again in this color. Now i have to stick with space gray or silver. Why is the color called Gold if it's rose gold? I don't think it doesn't make much sense to offer a rose gold color while removing the regular Gold option. Apple should keep both. With the iPhone 8 for example, it's a combination of both. Gold and Rose Gold. Yet it's to pink for my taste.
yes i do 😁 pinks my favorite color so i was more than happy with the original rose gold color they offered. i wasnt thrilled to find they combined both of them in some weird effort to market it to both men and women. ive seen a lot of people say they love the new shade and call it “the perfect marriage” but honestly they need to divorce them again. the shade isnt pink enough for me while the shade isnt gold enough for you guys. solution to this problem is just offer both shades again. preferably on the max iphones too!

tommy2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
Received the gold aluminium watch today. I’m returning it. The pink hue is too much. Not happy at all with that. Maybe I’ll get a space grey instead. Maybe...

outsidah

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Received the gold aluminium watch today. I’m returning it. The pink hue is too much. Not happy at all with that. Maybe I’ll get a space grey instead. Maybe...
I know it's more money, but the SS gold is pretty damn good looking. IMO, still some pink hues but not bad IMO. I didn't keep mine because most of bands have SS which looked off with the gold.

tommy2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
I know it's more money, but the SS gold is pretty damn good looking. IMO, still some pink hues but not bad IMO. I didn't keep mine because most of bands have SS which looked off with the gold.
You’re right. The gold SS looks better. I’ll have a look at it. I was initially interested in that. I’ll wait until end of October when my bank has a 20% cash back sale with a local electronics store.

edit: spelling

Last edited:

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
When I took my ALGold back to Apple store a few days ago, I tried to buy the SS Gold. It did look better than the aluminum. But, when placed next to my rings I wear daily, it still have a bit of a pink look to it.

So, for the first time with an Apple product, I went with Space Gray and matching milanese loop band.

I have had lots of complimentary things said this week. It really does look very classy. IMHO

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Yellow gold is what I was wanting.

Oh, well. Very happy with the "black".
Well, I'm no expert on colors, but I have a conventional watch catalog in front of me and what a gold watch is differs considerably in both color and shade. It depends, of course, on the gold carat value and the alloys used.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2014
I think they look pretty good together.

It does. Midnight Blue & Gold is an amazing combination. But it my opinion it would look even better if Apple kept their original yellow gold color, the one they had on the 5s/6/6s/7 and iPad Air 2 / mini 3 / mini 4. There is a reason why my Apple products are now Space Gray or Silver and no longer Gold.

Lyric

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2019
It does. Midnight Blue & Gold is an amazing combination. But it my opinion it would look even better if Apple kept their original yellow gold color, the one they had on the 5s/6/6s/7 and iPad Air 2 / mini 3 / mini 4. There is a reason why my Apple products are now Space Gray or Silver and no longer Gold.
We are complete opposites. I didn’t like any of the golds Apple released until the 8. Personally, I prefer the newer golds over the previous ones. If Apple still had the yellow gold I would have gone with silver.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2014
We are complete opposites. I didn’t like any of the golds Apple released until the 8. Personally, I prefer the newer golds over the previous ones. If Apple still had the yellow gold I would have gone with silver.
Yes, but i am male and i simply do not want a pink or rose gold phone. And the iPhone 8 Gold is pretty much rose gold, it's more pink than gold. Still a fancy color, just nothing for me personally. To each their own, but i think it's a color for women and it wouldn't fit me. Same with the Rose Gold from the 6s. Or the Coral on the Xr, it looked so good on pictures and in the Store i realized it's also more pink than orange.

The brownish gold from the Xs on the other hand is pretty much ok and my second favorite, after silver. My current 8 Plus is Space Gray. Good thing is that Apple has now darkened that color, the Space Gray on the 6 / 6s was just a slightly darker shaded silver, with the addition of a black front.