Carrier Unhappy with current carrier

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pongyuekong, Oct 17, 2014.

1. pongyuekong macrumors newbie

Hello, I bought an iPhone plus 128GB on October 1st and found a defect and exchange for another on October 7th. Currently in unhappy with my plan, Verizon unlimited talk & text with 2GB of data for $60. Don't get me wrong service is great, but since it's my first time buying a smart phone I didnt know how much data I would need. Well it's been 16 days now and I'm already reach my data limits. Is it to late to switch to a new carrier without being paying penalty? I already pay my phone bill a day ago.

If it's still possible to change carrier I'm thinking about switching to T-Mobile unlimited everything for $80. Or am I out of luck and need to wait for 2 year contract to end?

2. themyst macrumors 6502

sell iphone which will break you even on purchase price and etf.

have t mobile pay etf youll get hosed on the phone value.

take your pick.

maybe youll use less data after you stop playing with your new phone? I burned through 3gb a month but lately its more like 1.2 gb.

3. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Yeah I would just go to the 4 GB plan on Verizon. If they have good service where you are, you'll want to stay with them. I love Verizon's LTE service. Its everywhere and super fast. Plus, you get VoLTE right now with it.

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

if the phone is bought on EDGE, t-mo won't pay ETF

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Shouldn't need to sell the phone, it ought to be unlocked on GSM carriers. Open a TMO line of service, get a SIM, put it in the phone, port the number, pay Verizon ETF, use TMO and be happy with a paid-for phone. BTW, the pay-your-ETF only works if you buy a TMO phone. Maybe buy cheapest handset offered; if under your $350 ETF you win the difference. :)

Or up your Verizon plan to an appropriate data amount.

Multiple options available, just need to choose your path.

6. themyst macrumors 6502

the 60 dollar plan he has is a subsidy plan.

----------

he cant up that plan. its a promo single line subsidy plan with 2gb and $15 per gb overage.

I know about it because I was strongly considering it.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Thanks. Verizon coverage at my home svcks so I don't keep up with the particulars of their plans. (similarly I ignore Sprint) I assumed incorrectly there were options to increase the data allotment. I appreciate the respectful contribution.

----------

As I understand it you can turn in ANY phone; doesn't have to be the iphone. Pick up a cheap Verizon phone off ebay to use as the TMO trade in. If they require it to be a smart phone pick up some broke down iphone 3g or ancient android device.

8. ag29 macrumors 6502

DO NOT trade in your phone.

Switch to T-Mobile and pay your verizon ETF. You will break even. Your verizon phone will work on T-Mobile flawlessly.

Btw, if you call verizon they'll give you an extra 1GB free no problem.

And another tip, you don't need Tmobile's $80 plan. Go for a cheaper plan and do the referral program and you can get free unlimited lte for a year.

9. 1080p, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

I have the best solution for you... (I did this) go onto eBay or craigslist...

Buy an old beater Verizon smartphone. Something old like a Galaxy Nexus or an old Droid. I doesn't even need a clean ESN. But... it DOES need to be a Verizon phone and it DOES NEED to be a smartphone. I bought an old Droid RAZR for $40.

Also... for the T-Mobile to pay your ETF, you HAVE TO buy a phone from them... but it can even be a cheap phone. I bought the Alcatel One Touch Evolve 2. ($79.20 Full Retail)

I went to the T-Mobile store, traded in the Droid RAZR and they only gave me $16 trade in credit... but it qualifies me for the $350 ETF reimbursement. Then I bought the $79 phone on the 24 month payment plan... it comes out to $3.30 per month.

I then told the guy that I would not be activating the cheapo phone, that instead I was bringing an unlocked iPhone, so I needed a nano-SIM instead. (T-Mobile charges $10 for a SIM.) I told him I was giving the cheap phone to my mom to use on her line... which I did.

And there you go.... the cheapest method for keeping your unlocked Verizon iPhone, and still getting T-Mobile to pay for your Verizon termination fees.

10. pongyuekong thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this true? Can someone confirm this?

11. themyst macrumors 6502

Verizon gave 1GB free for a limited time on your plan as a promo, so it's possible the reps may have access to it still. Try it.