Unhappy with Glossy Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bentatarus, Aug 22, 2010.

1. bentatarus macrumors newbie

I purchased a 15" Macbook Pro from the local apple store a couple days ago. I decided to go with the glossy screen, I thought they looked cool and I heard the colors looked better on them.

After using the machine for a couple days, I have to say I am very pleased with it in all regards, except for the screen. I just can't stand the reflection. Its not the direct glare that bothers me ( thats to be expected even with a matte screen). Its just that my eyes constantly focus in on the reflections. The reflections are terribly prominent, but they're detailed enough for my eyes to auto focus in on them.

So I've decided I want to upgrade to a HR AG screen. How do I go about doing this? I called an apple store, but theres a 10% restock fee that I really do not want to pay. Any other options?

Thanks!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm pretty sure if you explain to them the problem and you're willing to pay more for the anti-glare, they will let you exchange without the restocking fee. Apple is usually good when it comes to these exchanges.

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Agree. give it a try and remember to be polite but persistent.

4. suburbia macrumors 6502

It still amazes me that the majority of people prefer glossy to matte.

Anyway, I wouldn't attempt to argue my way around the 10% restocking fee by telling them you changed your mind about the glossy. It's their policy. Instead, let them know the reflection is causing you eye-strain, and that you had not expected the glare to be so bothersome. Once they're made aware that it's more a serious problem than simply you changing your mind, they may waive the restocking fee.

Good luck:)

5. advres Guest

advres

That's some good advice right there^

6. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

if it is just a couple of days old, can you just return it within the 14 day apple no-questions-asked return period?

7. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

... or, if you're already happy with the machine except for the screen, spend $20 and get a matte screen cover:

http://www.dgloss.com/

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That only applies to the iPhone. Everything else is subjected to a restocking fee.

9. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

but those are soooooooooooo bad for the quality of the otherwise excellent screen. they or no where near the same leage as the true AG screen and make everything fuzzy .. and that is if you can get it on without bubbles and stuff. I hate it even on the NDS of the kids, let alone a premium notebook.

10. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Well, I wouldn't subject my MBP to one of those either. lol Just a suggestion. $20 is a lot cheaper than any restocking fee Apple would charge.

11. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I actually had a problem with the alignment of my display so when I got it replaced I asked the genius nicely if I can get the HR AG instead. Surprisingly he said yes and I didn't even pay for the price difference.

12. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Wow you have a restocking fee even within 14days? Suppose the high prices over here have to have some benefits lol

13. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

that exactly what i thought, i never heard anyone telling they had to pay a restocking fee here in NL.

14. molala macrumors 6502a

It's the law here. Nothing Apple can do to get around that. I once returned a refurb item to the Apple Store, and they even picked it up via TNT for free.

But we digress. Good luck to OP, hope you can exchange your MBP without the restocking fee.

15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

That's strange.

I recently had a problem with a new black iPod Classic. I wanted to exchange it, but they had no black ones in stock. I asked if they had silver, and he said the exchange had to be "exactly the same item". So I had to wait for them to order a black one for me.

16. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

It is very strange. I just have weird luck somehow.