Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wavey.dave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Hi

My May 2011 iMac recently had a hardware fault where the backlight failed on half of the screen. I contacted AppleCare who arranged a repair through Amsys (UK repairer). Didn't get off to a great start as the courier did not collect on the day agreed, even though I stayed in work late waiting - I appreciate this is not Amsys' fault, but I asked on two occasions for a call explaining why they didn't turn up, and have had nothing.

Anyway, when I sent my iMac off, it was covered in the original cellophane wrapping etc (ie, as new), and sent in original box. It was also spotlessly clean, as I am very particular about this.

Received the iMac this week after they replaced the LCD screen, and it was just put in the box with no covering or protection other than the polystyrene. I was unhappy with this, as I tend to keep everything original in case I need to send off or sell later, I no longer have this packaging material.

I unpacked it and the screen was filthy dirty with marks and smudges, I could clearly see where the suction cups had been used to remove the glass. I spent a while cleaning it and went over the screen and casing with a fine toothcomb to make sure there were no problems. I noticed 3 small marks which look like scratches on the inside of the glass (probably 3mm long each).

When I powered up, I couldn't see these marks, but I have a small spot in the centre of the screen, probably a couple of pixels long, that distorts the colour the pixels behind it. It is something on the inside of the glass, as when you move angle it affects different pixels. The best way I can describe it is like a very simply prism effect (like a spot of water). This is very distracting.

I also have a darker band running along the bottom inch or so of the panel. This shows up on white backgrounds more, but is also affected across the spectrum of colours. There is also yellow tinting along this band.

I made a trip to the AppleStore to buy this (120 mile round trip) and opened the box in store to make sure the display was perfect. This one is not.

I'm hoping to get it repaired again, but I'm very anxious about sending back tot he same firm, as I was very annoyed at the lack of care they showed last time.

Am I being unreasonably picky or demanding about the things I've picked up on?

Sorry for the long post :eek:

c613m

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
I'd be contacting AppleCare and explaining exactly what you told us. Apple is a company that to me always prides themselves in their products. For you to get this crap service is really unacceptable. They should also be contacting the AASC that did the repairs.

I would demand an exchange (ie. they send you new one, you send this one back).

Hamilton1963

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
You should be 100% happy, period. I would take it to a Apple Store myself and talk to a manager about this problem.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I would concur with the rest of the responders on this thread-notify Apple of your displeasure and disappointment. I would be upset if my iMac come back in this condition (especially after I paid over $2400 on mine).

Keep us up to date on your experience.

wavey.dave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Thanks for all the replies folks.

I phoned AppleCare this evening. They agree that the service I've received is not acceptable, but are not able to offer a replacement.

They have arranged another repair (same firm unfortunately). They have raised a complaint and will be speaking with the company tomorrow to ensure the repair meets expectations this time.

Hopefully I'll get better service this time! I'll come back and let you know when I get it back!

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Thanks for all the replies folks.

I phoned AppleCare this evening. They agree that the service I've received is not acceptable, but are not able to offer a replacement.

They have arranged another repair (same firm unfortunately). They have raised a complaint and will be speaking with the company tomorrow to ensure the repair meets expectations this time.

Hopefully I'll get better service this time! I'll come back and let you know when I get it back!

good for you, Things like this piss me off, I like apple because of their standards are as good as my standards. If they are not met they should be fixed.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
No doubt, on receipt of the questionnaire from Apple (sent to all after service by an approved service Provider) you will reply accordingly. This is the best way to transmit comments to Apple.

Jexta

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2011
No doubt, on receipt of the questionnaire from Apple (sent to all after service by an approved service Provider) you will reply accordingly. This is the best way to transmit comments to Apple.

As an Apple Certified Tech working for an Authorised Service Center here in Australia, I can tell you that the above is true.

These surveys directly affect the amount of money the service center is paid by Apple and is the last thing a service provider wants to see.

The problem you faced here is a lazy technician. He didn't clean the screen and glass properly before reassembling the machine, and did not thoroughly check (or care enough) about the discolouration to DOA the initial replacement screen and order a second one for you.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I had a similar situation with my original MBP. It was overheating and shutting down. They sent it away and it returned with a very deep gouge on the lid, like someone took a knife to it. The Apple logo was scratched to hell also.

Thankfully, it wasn't a BTO model, so I simply called the manager at the local Apple store and she set me up with a brand new computer.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Those screens are crazy easy to scratch when that glass is off, and if the screwdriver slips and touches the LCD, it's scratched. At that point, we, the repair depot, have to pay for a new LCD, as we can't send a scratched one back to Apple (accidental damage is not covered). That's probably what happened. They probably scratched it and sent it out the door hoping you wouldn't notice.

azurehi

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
Bluesky
Those screens are crazy easy to scratch when that glass is off, and if the screwdriver slips and touches the LCD, it's scratched. At that point, we, the repair depot, have to pay for a new LCD, as we can't send a scratched one back to Apple (accidental damage is not covered). That's probably what happened. They probably scratched it and sent it out the door hoping you wouldn't notice.

Is this issue, then, Directly a result of the iMac "all-in-one" design?

wavey.dave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Quick update.

Have enquired about progress with the company today and been told that a video card is on order and will be fitted tomorrow, with return hopefully the day after. I've asked for clarification on what else they are doing, because I can't see a new graphics card rectifying the issues I've outlined...

kirkster501

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Nottingham, UK
Hi

My May 2011 iMac recently had a hardware fault where the backlight failed on half of the screen. I contacted AppleCare who arranged a repair through Amsys (UK repairer). Didn't get off to a great start as the courier did not collect on the day agreed, even though I stayed in work late waiting - I appreciate this is not Amsys' fault, but I asked on two occasions for a call explaining why they didn't turn up, and have had nothing.

Anyway, when I sent my iMac off, it was covered in the original cellophane wrapping etc (ie, as new), and sent in original box. It was also spotlessly clean, as I am very particular about this.

Received the iMac this week after they replaced the LCD screen, and it was just put in the box with no covering or protection other than the polystyrene. I was unhappy with this, as I tend to keep everything original in case I need to send off or sell later, I no longer have this packaging material.

I unpacked it and the screen was filthy dirty with marks and smudges, I could clearly see where the suction cups had been used to remove the glass. I spent a while cleaning it and went over the screen and casing with a fine toothcomb to make sure there were no problems. I noticed 3 small marks which look like scratches on the inside of the glass (probably 3mm long each).

When I powered up, I couldn't see these marks, but I have a small spot in the centre of the screen, probably a couple of pixels long, that distorts the colour the pixels behind it. It is something on the inside of the glass, as when you move angle it affects different pixels. The best way I can describe it is like a very simply prism effect (like a spot of water). This is very distracting.

I also have a darker band running along the bottom inch or so of the panel. This shows up on white backgrounds more, but is also affected across the spectrum of colours. There is also yellow tinting along this band.

I made a trip to the AppleStore to buy this (120 mile round trip) and opened the box in store to make sure the display was perfect. This one is not.

I'm hoping to get it repaired again, but I'm very anxious about sending back tot he same firm, as I was very annoyed at the lack of care they showed last time.

I would give them hell mate. 100% not acceptable. Demand:
1. You wish to have all packaging materials returned to you.
2. They are to collect the iMac and repair the mess immediately.

BTW - My first post so hello all !! :)

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
I've always been happy with my repairs here in UK.

They do make mistakes as we all do.

I've had hard to fix problems with fans, lids and DVD drives that required several fixes.

They are always happy to listen and fix until I'm happy.

I've had this experience with 2 different AASPs.

I would be interested to know how Apple remunerates the AASP via Applecare which all my Apple products are on. There seems to be an incentive to get it right no matter what?

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I would give them hell mate. 100% not acceptable. Demand:
1. You wish to have all packaging materials returned to you.
2. They are to collect the iMac and repair the mess immediately.

You will find that, in life, this dictatorial attitude will get you nowhere fast!

A reasonable, polite attitude always gets the best results.

Primus84

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2005
UK
Hi

I've had similar problems with Amsys with my 24" iMac before there was a local Apple Store. Keep on complaining and don't accept Amsys working on your Apple products again, my iMac has never been quite right since and it was also returned filthy dirty on the first occasion and they scratched the screen on the second. I don't know why Apple use them!

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
I have to balance and say I've been happy with Amsys - the SE branch just outside London.

wavey.dave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Just a final update for anyone who might be interested.

iMac came back on Friday, still not happy.

The screen looked like it had been cleaned with a wet cloth and then left to dry, further marks behind the glass again. The problems I'd reported had not been addresses (ie, yellow tinting and the dark band along the bottom). Apparently they had seen some vertical lines so changed the graphics card.

Straight on the phone to AppleCare again. Spoke to first line support who said they'd make a not of the issues and it would be collected and sent back to Amsys again. I asked if there was any possibility of a replacement, I would even drive the 120 mile round trip to the Apple Store to collect. He said no, so I asked if I could speak with a senior tech, he agreed with no hesitation.

Spoke to senior tech who said it would have to go back again. I pointed out (politely) that my iMac had only been 12 weeks old when the problem first hit, I had been without it for 2 weeks already, and that the iPad, iPhones, macbook Air and Apple TV I have at home are not able to be used properly without my iMac, as it is my core system, and that I had expected better. Asked nicely again if I could get a replacement, and he said he understood my issues and would speak to his manager and call me back.

He phoned me back within 20 mins and agreed to a replacement. He booked me a genius appointment to make it easier to do in the store. He said the store had suggested a full refund and new sale, which would give me AppleCare for a further 3 years from the date of replacement. I thanked him for his efforts.

Sunday, went to the store, picked up the new iMac, checked it in store and although there is slight banding on the bottom, its not as noticable, and they all seem to have it some some extent. No yellowing and no dead pixels. While I was there, I asked about the back to school promo (I get the HE discount), which they agreed to.

Happy to get it sorted, but I feel a bit let down that it took so much hassle. Hopefully I won't have any more problems, but if I do, I will never send the kit off for repair, I'd rather go to the store.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
My view is that its not the mistakes that are made but how they are rectified that is the mark of anything.

Glad it was sorted in the end this long saga.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.