Unhappy with the way my uMBP shuts down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gugucom, Dec 8, 2010.

1. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Whenever I forget to attach a power cord to my MBP I get a total shut down usually without a warning. I usually have a bunch of BBs open and sometimes I'm in the middle of writing something when this happens.

Why does the MBP not store an image of my open programs on HD before it shuts down, so that I can get my configuration back when I restart?

The other question is why can it not go into hibernation as a warning and give me a chance to attach a power cord before it shuts down?

Am I doing something wrong?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, this is not normal.

Are you draining the battery completely when you're off AC?

You could set the sleep type to hibernation (called safe sleep in osx parlance)

I pull the AC on my laptop and after a period of time (that I specify in the energy pref pane) it goes to sleep.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Mine does exactly that :confused:

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm still confused over the order of events. Does the shut down come right after you unplug or after draining the battery?

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

One thing to try which may or may not help is go to Disk Utility - First Aid and run Repair Disk permissions. It can't hurt and might help. Takes about 5 - 10 minutes

6. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

It should be storing the image on your RAM I believe it is... not the HDD itself? I could be wrong on that.

But anyways, it should store that image as long as the little "sleep" light is still flashing after it powers itself down. If it runs out of battery that sleep light will still blink. If that light goes off (according to apple it should take ~5 hours) then it is 100% out of power... that is of course the steps to take when you are conditioning your battery (which occurs once every 2 months).

I would repair permissions and test it out... although you really shouldn't be letting your computer die all the time like that.

There is a terminal line floating around in one of my threads that you can try using to reset it.

7. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Crazy idea: you could pay attention to the red empty battery icon on your top bar too so that such things never happen in the first place.

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Your computer isn't working properly.

Normal sequence:

Unplug power lead. Laptop goes to battery.

Close screen, it sleeps. Open screen it wakes from sleep. (takes about 1 - 2 seconds)

20% battery left, it puts up a warning of low battery in the middle of the screen.

Close screen, it sleeps. Open screen, it may or may not wake up if the battery is really low. Plug power in, it wakes up from sleep.

If you leave it asleep for a long time, and the battery goes completely flat, it will go into hibernate automatically. RAM is saved to HD.

Open it again after plugging in power supply. It may or may not wake from hibernation (mine is a bit fussy) If it doesn't wake up, a short press of the power button or a mouse click will wake it.

Waking from hibernation takes about 30 seconds. Screen goes white, then shows pre-sleep screen with a white overlay, then a bar at the bottom shows the progress of restoring data to RAM from the HD. When that's done, white overlay goes, then after a few seconds, all systems are go again.

(if battery is low and you carry on working without plugging in a power lead it will go to sleep when battery is flat, then after a while move to hibernate mode).

9. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

Have you reset your SMC and PRAM. Ran Onyx?
    Trouble shoot the simple things and see if the problem carries on. Otherwise take it to a genius.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Have you run that pmset command line thing in the past to disable hibernation so that your MBP will go to sleep faster?

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It sounds like something with your battery controls is wrong. It doesn't report the right charge level. Looks like it is out of power before the OS realizes how low it is and it shuts down like a Notebook would if you remove the battery while it is unplugged and running. There is no time to save anything to RAM or HDD.
    Should never ever happen with a proper working battery.

12. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

++ What they said.

BTW if you have never run Onyx before, I do not recommend it for this particular issue. Best to go to a Genius Bar. You might even get a free new battery out of it.