Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Just a comment for people to think about.

Q : How do I buy something with a larger value than my credit card will allow ?
Apple's Answer : Tough, you can't.

This was the basic gist of my conversation this AM with Apple's UK (Irish actually) support line. I asked whether I could pay by Bank Transfer (used to be able to do this) - nope, can't do that. I asked again and the guy said - I've answered your question and hung up. Arrogant or what !

So I have 2 options, go to a local store (or Apple store) and pay by a Debit card (OK, except I might have to wait a few weeks for the stuff to arrive (plus it's 20+ miles away) - and reducing Apple's margin in the process). OR, get on the phone to VISA and get my credit limit raised - which I did.

Other folks' experiences ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How do I buy something with a larger value than my credit card will allow ?

Other folks' experiences ?

I don't buy it, if something is beyond my reach then I choose to defer or not buy it at all. I found its too easy to get into deep weeds financially buy putting too much on my credit card. If I don't have the cash, I'll not buy it.

I understand its easy saying that, then practicing it, but I've been working hard these past few years to live by that philosophy.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I don't buy it, if something is beyond my reach then I choose to defer or not buy it at all. I found its too easy to get into deep weeds financially buy putting too much on my credit card. If I don't have the cash, I'll not buy it.

I understand its easy saying that, then practicing it, but I've been working hard these past few years to live by that philosophy.
I didn't say it was beyond my means, I said that Apple wouldn't offer any means of payment other than a Credit Card. I have more than sufficient to buy what I want, but a Credit Card limit lower than the price of the object. Maybe you don't realise but there are other ways of buying stuff than putting it on a Credit Card. (Maybe you haven't heard of a Bank Transfer for an on-line purchase - a very common practice).

No need to moralise financially.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I didn't say it was beyond my means,
I'm not judging, just pointing that people with insufficient credit to buy something and then bend over backwards to keep trying to finance it, typically find themselves in trouble.

Maybe you don't realise but there are other ways of buying stuff than putting it on a Credit Card.
I avoid putting it on a credit card and if I do, it gets paid off before the ink dries on the receipt.

(Maybe you haven't heard of a Bank Transfer for an on-line purchase - a very common practice).
I avoid putting in my bank information online, as it increases your risk.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I'm not judging, just pointing that people with insufficient credit to buy something and then bend over backwards to keep trying to finance it, typically find themselves in trouble.

I avoid putting it on a credit card and if I do, it gets paid off before the ink dries on the receipt.

I avoid putting in my bank information online, as it increases your risk.

Not sure I can see the point of any of your comments.

1. " I'm not judging, just pointing that people with insufficient credit to buy something and then bend over backwards to keep trying to finance it, typically find themselves in trouble." True, but don't imply that's me.

2. " I avoid putting it on a credit card and if I do, it gets paid off before the ink dries on the receipt. " OK, but then why use a Credit Card, which gives month's interest free credit.

3. " I avoid putting in my bank information online, as it increases your risk. " It doesn't work that way. The seller gives you their bank details for you to transfer funds into.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
There are lots of other reasons for using a credit card. Ease of purchase. Purchase protection. Earning rewards. Etc.
Yes indeed. Plus it seems almost obligatory to use them. Just wondered why the month's free credit wasn't being used.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
No use for the opera.

If you ain't got enough credit on the card to pay, you probably aren't gettin' it from Apple.

I suggest you look to a 3rd-party authorized Apple reseller, one who might be willing to accept other forms of payment.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
OP:
No use for the opera.

If you ain't got enough credit on the card to pay, you probably aren't gettin' it from Apple.

I suggest you look to a 3rd-party authorized Apple reseller, one who might be willing to accept other forms of payment.

Did you read what I posted ?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
What's the issue with using a bank/debit card?

All of my bank/debit cards are underwritten by Visa or MasterCard. Are yours not?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
What's the issue with using a bank/debit card?

All of my bank/debit cards are underwritten by Visa or MasterCard. Are yours not?
Yes, of course. I didn't get the chance to ask whether they would accept a Debit Card alongside a Credit Card. I got the impression it was only a Credit Card (but they would accept multiple Credit Cards). As you can read, the conversation was terminated.

Anyway, I doubled my limit with a phone call (although I don't like carrying around Credit Cards with high limits - I reduced mine a few years ago).
[doublepost=1497635416][/doublepost]
That sucks, cuz I know on the US Store site, you can use multiple cards.

Thanks. Credit Cards or a mixture of Credit and Debit cards ?

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Just a comment for people to think about.

Q : How do I buy something with a larger value than my credit card will allow ?
Apple's Answer : Tough, you can't.

If you otherwise have the funds merely do a transfer unto your CC account to increase it?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Yes, I thought about that. That used to be possible I remember. However, VISA told me that when a call would come through to authorise the transaction, they would still only allow up to the level of the card limit - not card limit + whatever was available as extra.

Using multiple cards or getting the card limit increased seem to be the only feasible option.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Risk of theft and fraud. I reduced it by a factor of 4 as the credit levels on offer were just plain stupid - a symptom of the UK domestic credit splurge of the early 00's - and see where that ended up. I also continue not to be interested in my credit score (as I'm not borrowing anything). In fact I don't even know what mine is.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Geez, you guys have problems.

Other places usually have better prices than Apple themselves and allow pre-payment or even cash-on-collect (if you want to walk around with a couple of grand (which incidentally isn't a problem in this country - people buy 70 grand sports-cars in cash)).

In Europe, you can do all your banking online.
My bank will even send me cash (for a fee) via snail-mail.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I also continue not to be interested in my credit score (as I'm not borrowing anything). In fact I don't even know what mine is.

You should be interested in increasing your credit score, it's one factor in how a mortgage lender determines whether you're a safe bet for their lower rated mortgages, or whether you're riskier and therefore not eligible for lower rates.

It's also a factor in how much credit limit you'll be offered.

When you spend on a credit card, you're borrowing (and hopefully paying back responsibly or in full). And if you're not borrowing, you won't have a credit score, and thus can't borrow more when you need to (mortgage, the big one!). Hell, your credit score even matters to assess whether you're a safe tenant for renting, or whether you can work in finance.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
You should be interested in increasing your credit score, it's one factor in how a mortgage lender determines whether you're a safe bet for their lower rated mortgages, or whether you're riskier and therefore not eligible for lower rates.

It's also a factor in how much credit limit you'll be offered.

When you spend on a credit card, you're borrowing (and hopefully paying back responsibly or in full). And if you're not borrowing, you won't have a credit score, and thus can't borrow more when you need to (mortgage, the big one!). Hell, your credit score even matters to assess whether you're a safe tenant for renting, or whether you can work in finance.

I guess you didn't read Post #17. I don't care about a mortgage (don't need one and unlikely to ever want another one). I doubled my credit limit with one phone call. I'm unlikely to want to borrow for any item anymore. Hopefully I will never Rent and I certainly won't be working in Finance.

PS. I just bought the MacBook Pro from an Apple reseller in a city 20 miles away. They were offering a free 3 year warranty that seemed like AppleCare and saved me £ 220 or so. I have always bought AC before but never had to use it - so hopefully this decision was the right one.

The 2011 13in MBA in the sig will be replaced by the 2017 13in MBP.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmtaylor

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I guess you didn't read Post #17. I don't care about a mortgage (don't need one and unlikely to ever want another one). I doubled my credit limit with one phone call. I'm unlikely to want to borrow for any item anymore. Hopefully I will never Rent and I certainly won't be working in Finance.

Yes, I read the post where you said you're not (currently) borrowing, and from the attitude in your other replies, presumed (my bad) that you're a surly teenager and that you might want a mortgage/rent/etc in future that requires a credit score. Turns out you've got yourself well sorted and were just moaning about having to increase your card's credit limit.

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
In Germany you can use Paypal (the Germans are known for being all against credit cards and contactless stuff). They used to have the old bank transfer and got rid of that too here. Caused a right stir. But through PayPal you can at least set up your debit account. Not sure if that's possible where you are.

Reactions: drsox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.