Unhelpful Speculation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Martin29, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

I bought my first Mac in November and installed various Apps which I knew would be necessary to my work. Love the machine and love the Apps.

As a newby I joined or hovered on the fringes of several forums with a view to learning more quickly. In general it has been very helpful so far, and I've no regrets. However, one of the things I was advised early on was that I should hold off validating my evaluation copy of IWork because a new version was imminent. Members confidently and authorititavely informed me a new version (IWork 11) would be launched with the new Mac App Store on 6 January. I have therefore spent about a month waiting..

Guess what? It turns out that those who responded so knowingly, knew no more than I did!

Please will we all learn from this? Stop speculating and taking personal wish lists, turning them into definitive facts and advising others of the good news. It really is not helpful to anyone and only raises expectations which are never going to be met.

On the other hand, those of you who have real news, please keep us informed, it can be helpful providing we're dealing with facts, not idle speculation.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will get a mix of both here... after all this is MacRumors

Take everything with a grain of salt
    There is no inside information to be found here

Pssst... Verizon iPhone on the 11th
    You heard it here first

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Two things could come out of this.

The MacRumors site could stop pontificating and guessing about what and when Apple is going to be releasing stuff. (Clue, noone really knows except Apple).

or

You could stop believing everything you read on the 'net!!

4. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

Rumors are great, I have no problem with them, providing they are informed and reasonably accurate.

The problem appears to be that many people decide they would like to see something, eventually come to believe it as fact, and then go on to tell the world that it is fact.. All with the Authority of a senior Apple Exec!

Remember, many, if not most of the members here are simple users, looking for ideas, advice or help. Everyone I have come across without exception has been most helpful and I am grateful. Just it would be even more helpful if comments did not become pure speculation ;)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As you said, most members here are simple users, so looking to them for advice about a product is at your own risk. You never know if the person giving you advice about that Mac Pro rig that is pimped out over $10,000 is just a 12 year old kid in his room playing WoW.

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

++

This cartoon is strangely appropriate, Dawg! :D

[​IMG]

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

busted!

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I downloaded the trial (30 days I think) of iWork in December expecting the same thing. With the iWork update this week as possibly the last update prior to the new version release, and the Mac App Store, it is still very likely that we will see iWork '11 imminently. It is also quite possible that they didn't want to release a new version the same day as the store as that might reduce the fanfare of each. App Store 1/6/11, iWork '11 1/7 or 1/11 with the latter being more likely. Or we could see a mini event soon for it. One last and very good possibility is an event for the iPad 2 in the next 45 days, combo-ing an iWork '11 release and updates to the iWork apps for the iPad.

But then again that is all pure conjecture.

/end speculation.

9. rkahl macrumors 65816

10. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

No one is blaming anyone else. All I am saying is that we participate in forums firstly to learn and secondly to help others..

We learn nothing from pure speculation, and guesswork in our responses to member questions is no help either..

IMHO the forum would be stronger for more informed advice, and where we do not know the answer, we should say so clearly. Rumors are great, but only if they are credible and reliable.

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Due to the past history, information coming out of Apple, and things that are leaked; it is safe to say that there is a good chance that iWorks '11 will be out soon. It could be as early as Tuesday (not really likely). Evidence suggests it should be out Jan / Feb (or the latest March). In the grand scheme of things, that's accurate for guessing what a company is going to do.

You had the choice to either wait or risk buying iWorks '09 and then again for '11. You chose to wait, and now time is running out on your eval copy. You are now faced with another task. You either buy iWork '09 knowing that there is a good chance '11 will be out soon; stop using iWork '09 eval until '11 comes out; or figure out how to reset the eval period.

I never thought that iWork '11 would ship the day the App Store opened. . . could it have? Maybe, but Apple likes to announce these things.