Uni/Late 09 liquid damage/upper case replacement.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Herpdy, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Herpdy macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Being the poor college kid that I am, and knowing a bit about hardware repair, I've been buying macbooks on craigslist, etc. and reselling them. I just got a Polycarbonate Macbook that had liquid spilled on (she said it was iced tea). It wouldn't turn on so I checked out the logic board and I cleaned it with alcohol although it seemed clean.

I noticed during this that the LED on the power adapter was green, though very dim. When I unhooked the cable connecting the upper case, it turned bright green.

Basically what I'm wondering and now that I think about it its probably a stupid question, since I have no way of testing this until I buy a new upper case is do you think it's worth it to try and fix or should I sell it? A new upper case goes for ~$100 and I got the mac for $300. I could sell it on ebay as-is for ~$500. Also does anyone have any experience with an issue like this?

-Thanks in advance.

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I recently got a late 2008 aluminum MacBook in roughly the same condition as yours. There was something spilled near the d/c board, the MagSafe adapter would be a very dim green. I scrubbed it down twice with alcohol and was able to get power to the machine and the battery to charge but it wouldn't boot. Ended up sending it to apple for repair for only 299 so I'll have a working machine.