Uni macbook 2.0ghz for gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marchellobb, May 18, 2009.

1. marchellobb macrumors member

I am soon buying a 2.0ghz Unibody macbook, and I have a couple of questions regarding gaming:

1. How is it, in general? I will have to install bootcamp AND windows, right? I am really not a big gamer, but there is ONE game that is being released soon that I abosolutely want to be able to play on my macbook. Do you think the macbook would be able to play something like this: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ces-09-prototype/44140

2. Can I use my xbox 360 controller with the macbook somehow? I heard there was a way to do this.

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

That game looks crazy, I'll be buying it for sure on the xbox. But as for playing it on the macbook, it may be possible, but in no way at all are you going to see it played as it is in that trailer.

3. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

What if I upgrade to 4GB ram?

4. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The amount of ram will most likely have no effect at all. Since the allocated amount of ram on 9400M GPU is a maximum of 256mb, Adding additional ram will have no effect, or very minimal.

5. UnderLoK macrumors newbie

The problem is the video card. It will more than likely run it, but not well. Might want to find out what the minimum video requirements are for the game.

6. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Best way to guage at this moment is to expect system reqs between sandbox games: gta and crysis.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

8. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

9. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

Mine struggles with Roller Coaster Tycoon 3... I have to put it on the LOWEST settings for it to be smooth

10. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

That's odd, because I've seen people play GTA 4 on the old white macbooks, and it seemed to play just fine.

Macbook pro is waay too expensive. The 2.4ghz macbook is already too expensive for me, I don't think it's worth the extra 2/300$ from the 2.0 version, even less another 500 for the pro.

EDIT: The macbook pro definetely is too expensive. But if the 2.4ghz macbook would make a decent difference in playing games compared to the 2.0, I could probably spare a bit extra. Is it worth the extra money?

11. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

The graphics card is the same - the difference will barely be noticeable.

12. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Its not worth it unless you need the extra space and the backlit keyboard. Even than some people will argue the need to have the backlit keyboard and therefore can't justify spending the extra 300 dollars. But as your looking to game on it, I would say its not worth it since both have the exact same GPU. If all your really looking to do is game on it, and if thats oner of your main concerns, why don't you just get a Windows Laptop from Dell or HP with a much better Graphics Card in it?

13. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

Because I'm not a gamer. This is the only game I'm looking forward too. Do you think it would still run smoothly if I turned all the graphics to low?

I'm not extremely demanding in graphics as long as the game runs nicely and smoothly

14. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Everything on low would most likely be Good. You'll probably get somewhere between 20-30 FPS at low settings in a game like that. If your like me, and it sounds like you are, than the game should be playable to your standards. I really don't care to to much if the game is at least playable. I do most of my actual gaming, which is very minimal anyway, on my xbox.

15. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man. I also own a 360, but I'd love to play this game on a portable so i could bring it anywhere!

16. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Hey bro, the MacBook can achieve 40 fps on decent settings (avg 35) on COD4. Crysis was playable via bootcamp. So I honestly believe you would be fine with the MacBook itself.

Let's say the 2.0 MacBook did something in 0.1 seconds. The 2.4 MacBook might get it done in 0.0834 seconds. Is that worth it to you? The GPU may play a significant role more so than the processor these days, but it still has an influence in video games. I know it is worth it to me. I am in the same boat as yourself as I would like to get a MacBook Pro however, too large and too expensive.

I don't believe you would be able to play it comfortably at high settings - but, medium I honestly believe it can be done. I say go for the 2.4 and upgrade the ram - despite the max being at set limit on the GPU you would still see real signifcant difference in your overall MacBook gaming experience.

17. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

1. It should be pretty good considering it has an nVidia GeForce 9400M (Quite decent for a stock laptop card). It should run that game fine at lower settings (especially resolution), it doesn't look to graphically intensive like a game like Team Fortress 2.

2. I'm not quite sure, but I doubt it is possible out of the box.

18. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

The 9400m is capable of putting out decent fps for most modern first person shooters.

19. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

I was looking around another forum as well:
    "Hi all. I recently purchased a unibody MacBook in November, and I have Windows XP SP3 installed with Boot Camp. I use it to play most Steam engine games (TF2, Portal, HL2, etc), and they run great. I know that L4D's requirements are a bit higher though, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience running it with this config. It's a bone stock 2 GHz MacBook with 2 GB of RAM. I've been planning to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB eventually, so if that would help it would be good to know. Thanks!"

[!!after installing 4 gigs of ram and 7200 rpm hard drive he concluded!!]

"After playing a few more times (though not as much as I play on the 360) the only problem I have with L4D on my MacBook is the control scheme and lag, both things I can't really blame my hardware for. I've played with the settings a few different ways but I'm satisfied with the performance at max res, no AA, triple filtering, and medium on everything else.

I'd say the 360 version looks better and they both run at about the same rate. The main draw of the PC version for me is the eventual mod community and playing with a few friends who opted for Steam over Live; I think most of my play time (at least while the game is still popular with a large number of people) will be on Live."

20. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the many helpful posts RiCEADDiCTBOY! I guess I'll go with the 2.4ghz one. The backlit keyboard is nice too

21. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

NP bro. I am getting one too. A bit jealous that two of my friends got the MacBook Pro, however one regrets getting the Pro and wished he went with the 2.4ghz simply for the portability. I have my desktop that can run Crysis completely maxed out. The MacBook is really for when I am deployed, at school and etc.

Only game I care to play honestly is COD4 and StarCraft 2. So, I am not worried about my gaming habits.

22. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

I would have gotten a PC if I was really much a gamer also, but since my main needs are recording music and movie editing, I figured the macbook would suit me better

23. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

If you really want to play games, I'd go with a gaming console like xbox or PS.

Games on these just work. Based of years of gaming on Windows, there is always a driver needed or incompatibility in the long run.

24. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Um... I play L4D all the time on my 2.0 MacBook on Windows 7 and it runs great. I've said this a million times on this forum now :p

I run just above medium setting and it kills. When I upped it to 4GB and a 7200 drive, it didn't seem to really make a difference. Just some input.

25. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Almost every household has a game system of some kind in this day and age. However, the question at hand wasn't about a console. It was if the product he was wanting to purchase able to play a particular game while on the go.

BTW - I have never had any driver issue as I do monthly update checks and system maintance...