Uni mb ram effects

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dukebound85, Sep 4, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

This is weird, my 2006 mb with 2gig ram never seemed to lag as much as my unibody mb with 2 gig of ram...as in my computer will take forever sometimes to register mouse clicks which I never recalled happening on my old mb

It is annoying. Will upping the ram solve these issues? or is this indicative of say bad hw?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

sometimes yes, and sometimes no (just a huge delay when registering clicks...like in ista menues it will take a good while for it( the menu) to actually drop down

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are they running the same version of OS X? Have you tried to usual SMC and PRAM reset and ran Disk Utility? How about Hardware Test or reinstalling OS X?

Open Activity Monitor and take a look at your page outs. If you use the same software on both, it sounds like it might be a problem with hardware but try eliminating software issues

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It could be the trackpad or just disk access time. Give Activity Monitor a once through though.

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Like right now, there is like a half second to a second delay in registering my mouse clicks. Very annoying

Looks like ram is low but the page out to page in ratio does not seem that bad at all (about 10 page ins to a page out)

Attached Files:

• ram.jpg
      ram.jpg
      File size:
      173.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Don't forget to show All Processes instead of just My Processes. You can remove the User column as well. ;)

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Page out is always bad because it means that data has to be written to HD instead of RAM and that causes lag because HD is much slower. BTW, have you noticed that Chrome is using huge amount of RAM? Most of your processes are caused by Chrome and they are all eating ~40MB of RAM. Any idea what those are?

BTW, I have 1.03GB of page ins and 4KB of page outs. 4GB of RAM would definitely speed up your MacBook

9. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

He only has 90 Mb of page outs. They aren't always bad, and he is correct in analyzing the ratio of ins with outs.

There is over 500 MB of inactive ram. Ram that is basically being used for cache but could be freed at any moment. I'd say it isn't the ram.

Here is a good place to start: Does it happen right after you reboot?