Uni Presentation- FCPX or iMovie '09?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Plantagenista, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Plantagenista macrumors newbie

Here's my dilemma:

I was under the impression, up until nine o'clock last night, that I would be delivering a presentation to a little symposium on Monday, in person, via whatever method I preferred. (Keynote, yay!)

But this morning, I discover they would prefer the presentation be a multimedia thing (which it was going to be anyway) delivered in a sort of pseudo-documentary style. Which means I've less than a week to cobble my findings into a twenty-minute video presentation.

Really, this doesn't intimidate me too much, but I confess I've never done it. I played around in iMovie back in 07-08, and was surprised when I finally opened iMovie '09 to see the... difference. Wow.

I already have a lot of video I would have needed to incorporate into the Keynote presentation (this is a cultural studies presentation, and the topic is a television show, so... yeah) so having enough material isn't the problem. But for ease of use and not... well.... not having a newbie-tackiness to it, which would you recommend? And for what it's worth, I do consider myself pretty savvy, and have been knocking around inside Photoshop and other decently complex programs for a bit.

Aside from the ability to incorporate my video clips well (which are mostly in .mp4s, with some mov files, although I know I'll probably have to change the format) and provide some clean transitions between clips, stills, etc., I'm chiefly interested how well it will incorporate narration/music tracks and over-all quality of the output.

So... suggestions? I have FCPX in the trial version, and I'm presuming the 30 days are 30 days of joyous freedom to use it however I please, but if that presumption is wrong, then let me know, too. Or, if there's a better recommendation (and free/low-cost), and I'm willing to hear that, as well!

Thank you so, so much.

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Avoiding "newbie tackiness" is more about technique and less about which tool you use. Don't use the built in iMovie presets if you are worried about your end product looking too much like an Apple template.

As you've already said, the basic stuff is all covered -- cuts, dissolves, and basic multi-track audio. To me what separates a good video from a cheesy one is the quality of the recorded footage. Clean audio that's not too loud and distorted or too quiet and lost amidst the sound of camcorder or wind noise. Consistent levels from clip to clip. Clean, well lit video that isn't shaky. Stuff like that.

Good luck!