Unibdy Macbook 2.0 keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PolySciSurfer, Jun 3, 2009.

1. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Can someone tell me why the macbook 2.0 unibody keyboard still has the keyboard light adjust keys in the top row? Also, for all you 2.0 unibody macbook owners, does the keyboard lettering seem to be of high quality and easily visible is low light conditions? Has the lettering began to wear off?

My ibook g4 had the lettering wearing off and that was a little annoying. It was easy to fix on the ibook because the keyboard was so easily replaceable. Any info is appreciated. :eek:

Also, can you feel a texture on the lettering? Or is it flush with the keys?

2. macbook yes macrumors 6502

I'm using a uMB 2.0 at the moment and there are no keyboard lighting keys at the top. There are screen backlight adjustment keys but none for the keyboard because there is no light. F5 and F6 are blank.

The letters have a bit of texture on the keys but it didn't notice until now when I lightly ran my fingers over the keys and checked.

3. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

When you say that F5 and F6 are blank, do they have F5 and F6 written on them? Or are they completely blank? How's the visibility?

4. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

All they have is f5 and f6 written on them, (sorry I had to upload a picture, I wanted to test the transfer of my phone to macbook with bluetooth) :cool:
    [​IMG]

5. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet, thanks for the picture. You saved me a trip to the apple store. Let me ask you guys a question please, so I don't start a new thread. Would you rather have an all stock 2.4 unibody macbook. Or an aluminum macbook 2.0 with 4gb ram, and SSD drive? If I'm doing work in iMovie, I just don't want the 2.0 GHz processor to end up being the bottle neck. Know what I mean? :confused:

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

2.0 with 4GB and SSD

The 4GB and SSD will offer MUCH greater performance than the extra 0.4GHz of processing power which you wont really notice in the first place anyway.

7. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet! I am so excited, I can't wait to get mine. I'm going with the 2.0 unibody macbook with edu discount and apple care. I will upgrade the ram soon, and when ssd prices fall a little more, I'll upgrade that as well. It's going to be the best computer I've ever owned. Really looking forward to it. Thanks guys! :D

8. macbook yes macrumors 6502

I've had my computer for almost 2 weeks but I've used iMovie twice. It's a bit of an adjustment from the old version I had, but it's runs pretty well. I have all stock options. No upgrades whatsoever yet. I think I will get them when I need them.

I can see the keys just fine, even in relative darkness because the lettering is white so it kinda reflects some of the light from the screen.

BTW, the F keys are
    1: lower screen brightness
    2: raise screen brightness
    3: expose
    4: dashboard
    5 and 6: nothing but "F5" and "F6"
    7: rewind
    8: pause/play
    9: fast forward
    10: mute
    11: lower volume
    12: raise volume

So it's basically the same as the 2.4 except for the keyboard backlight.

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Don't forget your free iPod! :cool:

10. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

You can add the 4GB and SSD at any time. You can never add the .4Ghz of processing power.

11. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh that's right! Apple is so cool. Thanks for the keyboard layout above poster. :D

12. Dip Falcon macrumors newbie

Remember, the 2.0 GHz doesn't have the backlit keyboard, but personally that wasn't a big deal for me.

13. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, that's not really a big deal to me either. How often will I be using my computer in the dark? I never fly, and I don't use my computer at night in the car, so really I can't see a need for it.

14. zsnow macrumors regular

i just got the 2.0g umb. the backlit doesn't bother at all. Previously i own a mba , i have to adjust the backlit all the way down as for some reason, it always startup as highest level. Now i finally don't have to do that.
    it might looks cool. But seriously, when you typing do you look at the screen or keyboard.... or who will actually looking at the keyboard? i always have lights in my room though and use the F and J key to locate other keys. it might help if you work totally in dark

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd choose a 2.0GHz whatever; I don't see any reason to get the 2.4GHz version.