Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

datniceguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Thread title is misleading (on purpose). ;) So my girlfriend offered to sell me her late 2008 15" MBP (2.53 GHz C2D, 128GB Apple SSD, 4GB 1067 DDR3) for $800. Using my student refunds, I was looking to get one of the higher end 15" Sandy Bridge MBPs with an SSD and anti-glare upgrade.

My main question is, would the C2D proc hold up when Lion comes out? I was planning on using the extra money I pocket with maxing out the RAM and getting an Optibay mod (maybe even a Dell Ultrasharp U2711 AHH!). And the extra time this proc would last could help me hold out for a MBP design overhaul. I just got into virtualization and would use the laptop for iOS dev work and computer science classes.

It's running the 9400m/9600m GPU's, would running the 9400m be a problem in Windows 7 via Boot Camp? I tried doing some research and I heard there was problems with supporting the chipset in the 2008 MBP. Something about being forced to the 9600m when you're in Windows. Also, still trying to get a much more solid answer about upgrading this MBP to 8GB of RAM - lots of different answers about whether or not this will take the extra RAM (I'm running 10.6.6 and I heard support for more than 6GB of RAM came in after 10.6.4?)

Thanks for the lookout guys!

lukta

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
I would just get the new one so you don't regret not doing it when lion comes out and it doesn't work for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.