unibody 17" macbook pro buy now or wait for upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by volcom883, Feb 10, 2009.

1. volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

i have been waiting for a year and half for the macbooks to get blu-ray..
    now, i am ready to give up on BD cos i really need a laptop. however i am afraid of apple bringing out more poweful machines in a few months(15" macbooks are currently in mid cycle). but it also seems strange that they will upgrade the 17" anytime soon cos the new unibody 17" arent even out yet..

note: i want 17" cos i need a matte screen.

2. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

They aren't going to update the 17 inch for months now so buy it now if you need it. Blu-Ray availability is still very uncertain on Macs currently so it's not something I would wait for...

3. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

the thing is i dont need 17" i am only buying it cos the 15" dont have the matte option yet...
    i could always sell it on ebay when the upgrade that i want is out, cant i? if i get it for $2800 how much can i sell it for in a year time? roughly?

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Apple wont be putting Blu-Ray in any of their Macbooks or Macbooks Pro's, waiting is a waste of your time, because you'll be waiting your whole life. Theres lots of reasons why, but most Mac professionals will know about Steve Jobs bag of hurt speech, and thats basically a summary of the reasons.

Anyway now is the best time to buy a 17" MBP if there ever is one, they have just been updated as of Jan 5th 2009, and the new updated ones havn't even gone on sale yet! They're expected to start shipping 19th Feb, if you want to know what its specs will be they are written on Apples site.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTE3MDE

The 17" Unibody's wont be updated for at least another 6 to 8 months.

5. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

yeah sure i know that its the unibody 17" thats shipping soon...

i understand that all deliveries are delayed at present. if it showed "ships within 24 hours" on apple's website. when can i expect a delivery to the UK from the date of purchase? are all machines shipped straight from asia?

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If you don't need the 17" but want a matte screen, you could buy a 15", then send it elsewhere to get it converted to a matte screen. You'd probably save some money.

7. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

$200! no apple warranty!

im set on the new 17" i just wanted to find out how long it normally takes if it says in stock on their website thanks

8. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

BLu ray drives are about $50 on eBay buy it an put it in an external ecnclosure. Did that about a year ago with my HD-DVD drive when bluray was still $500.

9. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I don't think so, they just came out in October. If they were mid-cycle Apple would already be working on new ones. They're at most 1/4 through the cycle.

10. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

well, according to the buyers guide it is..

wow! so i just get any BD writer(there arent specific ones for mac or pc i guess), get a casing(how much please?), get the software for mac and thats it? yes?

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

IF it says in stock, then about 4 days. However if you were to order one now, you'll probably get it about the end of Feb, very early March due to high demand. Thats why it says 3-4 weeks on the site.

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The next Intel mobile CPUs are due in April or so 2009. Apple may update the notebooks some time afterwards.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Define software.

Software for burning data disks = Yes, that is it.
    Software for watching movies = Impossible.

14. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

The 15" is at its mid cycle. But that was refreshed in October. The 17" is 4 months later.

15. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

wow so i just get any BD writer(there arent specific ones for mac or pc i guess), get a casing(how much please?), get the software for mac and thats it? yes?[/QUOTE]

The external enclosures are about $14 on ebay and do some google searching for the software since i do not know of any. Also if you dont find any mac software then use bootcamp to windows and there is tons of software.

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Just so you realise, NO MAC can watch Blu-Ray movies, even WITH an external Blu-Ray drive, you can only burn data for backups etc to Blu-Ray disks, and thats it.
    Just don't want you wasting your money :)

17. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

yeah all i wanted was to burn BD disks to back up my videos.

by the way can this firewire-800-to-400 be used on the new 17" to connect a fw400 camcorder?

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

19. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

ok, so with an external BD drive i cant watch movies but can i at least view the photos and video files that i burnt?
    thanks

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

As long as the video files arn't in Blu-Ray format sure.

21. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

waow you have just made my day! so i can burn pics, vids as simple data files onto a blu-ray disc and view them on my mac! wicked!
    i dont care about BD movies...

honestly, if i knew this i would have got a mac ages ago!