Unibody 17in, how to fix a bent display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ride9650, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

So, I know theres a few threads about how some people's displays are slightly bent on the sides.

I'm in the exact same situation...sort of.

While mine is also slightly askew on the sides, I've decided not to bother with that, since just about every single unit I've come across is shaped more or less the same way. However, something I noticed the other day was that my display indeed also bent, however it was bent in the front!

Basically, imagine the computer in a closed position, and that you're looking at it from the front. Now essentially if you follow the area where the rubber gasket meets the unibody, it starts out aligned, then almost immediately, for lack of better words, it takes off from the ground.
    The biggest telltale sign is that you can clearly see light coming through the space it creates.

Since its not off by a huge amount, I figured Apple probably won't care, but since its rather annoying knowing its there, I decided to try and fix it myself. However I haven't had much luck, and I think I might have made it a little worse!

So far I've tried:
    -stacking some books(only about 2, light textbooks)
    -and flipping the computer upside down and leaving it like that for a few hours(nothing on top).

Any other recommendations?

I've attached a picture kinda showing where its at. I couldn't find a full frontal picture of the computer, so I just took a side view one off of Apple's site, and marked the approximate area where the bend occurs.

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

Whoops!
    Better picture attached

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      32.1 KB
      Views:
  3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Since they are all like that, including my own 13" MBP (which I have encountered as I have been to a few Apple stores and Best Buy), you might be doing more harm than good. Let it go, it's working fine right? It's very minor and we don't know if it needs to be that way for a reason or if just a flaw in the design leading to all of them being assembled that way. In any case, leave it alone, you may cause more damage. You can't use Apple's pic on the website as an example, it's not a real pic and of course it's going to look "perfect".
    Unless something is not mass marketed and custom built, you'd be hard pressed to find ANY consumer product that's flawless.

4. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate the sentiment, and I certainly understand that mass produced products are bound to be a bit off here and there, its still irritating given the high price of the computer and also because I've also been to quite a few Apple and best buy stores and haven't come across ANY that are bent in any way like mine(and just to re-iterate, i'm talking about how its bent in the front, not the side)
    It also seems ludicrous to find such a thing on a product where parts for the body had to either have been made by machines, or made through some machine assisted process.

I was thinking about just trying to leave it alone, but it seems to be getting worse, not sure if its my fault or not, but I'd rather not risk having the screen possibly crack one day due to the stress and get screwed over on the repair process.

And for the record, I wasn't using the Apple pic for a comparison, I was just using it as a representation, and simply marking the approximate area where the bend occurs.