Unibody 2.0 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PolySciSurfer, May 1, 2009.

1. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Did anyone decide to buy the 2.0 instead of the 2.4? With my edu discount it's about a 250 dollar difference with apple care. If you went with the 2.0, can you tell us your reasons, and or factors that went into your decision? If I have it right, the 250 buys you a faster processor, more storage, and light up keyboard?

2. mosx macrumors 65816

You don't have the Mac yet? Save yourself the trouble http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220526

I have the UniBody MacBook. I have it because my plastic MacBook had to be replaced twice due to bad build quality.

If I didn't have a computer now I wouldn't even consider a MacBook. Not at all.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Were you able to hackintosh that puppy? Sweet!

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I went with the 2.0 Alu MB, shortly after they first came out.

The processor difference is negligible for the majority of tasks on my MacBook, and the hard drive is user accessible, meaning that I can upgrade later for cheap. That means, for me at least, that most of the premium for the 2.4 model is applied to the keyboard. That's a lot to pay for a couple of LED lights and some translucent keys.

Besides, I have an MBP for my main computer, and it can do the heavy lifting. My wife and I simply share both, and whoever needs to be more portable that day gets the MacBook.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Highest customer satisfaction in the industry says otherwise.

I'm sorry you've had issues, but you seem unable to comprehend that you are of the few and not the many.

My white Macbook is faster than my Vista laptop despite similar specs, it's lighter, thinner, and more durable. Granted it costs more, but it was worth it.

6. iBadger macrumors member

I actually just purchased the 2.0 unibody. I couldn't decide between the 2.4 MBP, 2.4 MB, or 2.0 MB. Prior to my macbook I used a dell vostro 1.8 ghz and it was fast enough for any task(Photoshop, programming, Dynamics...). So I decided that the 2.0 would be more than enough, plus it saves me 200-300 dollars compared to the 2.4 MB. By the way I went refurbished, I think it was 1100. Arrived flawless.

Add : I plan to upgrade the ram to 4 gigs, but thats only about 60 bucks.

7. J.711 macrumors newbie

J.711

I picked this up a couple of days ago.. I really couldn't justify paying that much extra for a tiny improvement in the processor and a larger HDD. Sure, the backlit keys were nice, but I know how to touch type and I couldn't recall ever using my laptop in the dark.

I upgraded my RAM to 4gb straight away when I got it, and I was gonna upgrade the internal until I decided to just leave it and buy an external instead.

8. flapperdink macrumors member

my same reasoning for going with the 2.0. i just got my 4GB mushkin RAM. couldn't be happier.

9. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

Would you guys say there is a noticeable difference in performance between the 2.0 and the 2.4? Specifically, I'm wondering about the processor speeds doing normal tasks. I don't do any heavy lifting really, just internet (including you tube), word processing, occasional light game like WC3, and downloading music. I plan to upgrade to 4gb of ram also...

10. Knolly macrumors 6502a

@Poly

You will notice ZERO difference between the 2.0 and 2.4. I have a 2.4 and the only difference is during really processor intensive stuff. For instance, I encode a lot of video and once tested it on both machines, and the video encoded 5-10% faster on my machine (is that even worth the price difference though? it depends person to person). In normal use like you suggested there won't be a noticeable difference.

11. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Equal memory and equal hard drive I doubt you can see much of a performance difference. But ohh that backlit keyboard, I love it.

12. themintyness macrumors newbie

I just bought the 2.0 aluminum macbook last Wednesday at the store. I was actually hoping to be able to pay for it and be able to go home with it. The 2.4 was in stock, but all the 2.0s were gone.

The backlit keyboard and the upgrades seem v. nice, but it's not worth the money. My parents paid for the computer and a couple accessories, so I didn't want them to spend any more money. That and the upgrades won't do that much for me, I use my computer to write and watch movies and tv shows and to store my music and pictures.

I'm excited, it's supposed to be coming in next week! The only annoying thing about buying it was that you don't have the actual confirmation number to check on the order/shipping status online.

13. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

that's a sick laptop..

14. Knolly macrumors 6502a

@themintyness

School discounts really are lovely aren't they? :p

I had to do the same thing and wait a week or two for my 2.4 to come in, hella worth it though.

2.4GHz Macbook with 3 year AppleCare:
    From School Bookstore: $1539
    Apple Retail Price: $1848
    Apple Educational Price: $1682

:D

The thing that I also found interesting was that for $146 you could actually get a 4th year of AppleCare from the school bookstore, which I had just never heard of. Hot stuff, haha.

15. PolySciSurfer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks Knolly. My last concern is this, when the new OSX comes out, will my 2.0 still kick butt? Right now I use an ibook g4 1.33 768 ram, and when I upgraded to the latest osx my computer slowed down tremendously. It was a huge let down. By the way, I hope the new laptop feels faster! :D

16. Knolly macrumors 6502a

@Poly
    For Snow Leopard, it definitely will. It probably will be even faster than it is in Leopard actually, since Snow Leopard is essentially just a massive optimization. I can't say if it'll slow down with an OS that comes out in 4 years though (Leopard came out 4 years after your iBook).

17. flapperdink macrumors member

i've never tried the 2.4 at length so i can't say. i did a lot of research online and some occasional "playing" at best buy. i decided with the 2.0 before trying them side by side at an apple store. the 2.0 was more than enough for my wife and i. we do occasional word processing and photo collecting/editing so the 2.0 fit best for us. the lack of a backlit keyboard is a slight minus, but IMO not worth the extra $.

the 4GB doesn't make much of a difference on normal web surfing, but if you do a lot of multitasking with organizing photos, editing in photoshop, and while listening to music via itunes, then it does make a huge difference. i got my mushkin ram from newegg.com for only $57. it's the non-mac verision, but has the same specs and is very compatible.

the next performance upgrade on my wishlist is an SSD drive. they're just still too expensive and i'd want something with a 500GB of capacity. right now the SSDs top out at 256GB and cost well over $500.