unibody 2.0 or 2.4?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SevenEleven, Jan 24, 2009.

1. SevenEleven macrumors member

SevenEleven

Hi I am trading in my blackbook 2.4 for a unibody on monday. I am torn trying to decide whether I should save some $$ and get the 2.0 or keep the same speed and spend the extra money for the 2.4?

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I got the 2.4 Uni MB and I love it. But that probably goes for either, they're brilliant. A lot of people are going to say that the upgraded 2.4 is not worth $300 more, I thought it was. Even though I don't need the backlit keyboard, it's cool. The extra HD space will help me out someday, but by then HD's will probably be cheaper. If you look at benchmark tests between the 2.0 and 2.4 MB, with like rendering and stuff, you'll notice that the 2.4 is about 5-10 seconds faster over about a minute and a half. Is that worth it? That's up to you.

I bought mine on Amazon and there it was only $150 more than the 2.0 MB, so that was definitely worth it.

Hope this helps

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

2.0 is a better deal by far. I say get that one.

4. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

When you say, keep the same speed, buying the 2.0 MB will probably provide you the same speed. With a new front side bus speed, the new 2.0 MB is probably as fast as your blackbook.

What are you going to be using it for?

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

6. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

It is a better deal. It has all the same basic features as the 2.4, and you can upgrade the RAM and HDD in it yourself. Also, do you really NEED a backlit keyboard? Sure, its a cute little feature, but in my opinion not necessary. How often are you typing in the dark, and can't find a key? If you can't find a key, then you should be looking at Mavis Beacon not a 2.4 ghz macbook.

Just go 2.0 =)

7. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I feel like I'm outnumbered. Look for a deal, you can get the 2.4 for around $1450.

8. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i like the idea of the backlit keyboard. also, the letters are less likely to wear off since they aren't "painted on"

i vote for 2.4

but in terms of value, 2.0 is much better. You can get a 320gb hard drive for $100 or maybe less these days. and 0.4ghz won't make or break your day in terms of speed.

but i still vote for 2.4

so it depends on whether or pocketbook or your heart has a greater say in the matter.

9. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i grabbed the 2.0 ghz. I really wanted the light up keyboard but that alone is stupid to pay 300 bucks for. (i dont need 2.4 ghz)

10. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Everyone is just going to tell you to get whatever they have so just disregard what they have to say lol.

If you do some CPU intensive work and use your computer in the dark then go with the 2.4GHz, if not then just get the 2.0GHz because it's a better deal. Simple as that.

11. SevenEleven thread starter macrumors member

SevenEleven

Thanks for all the replies. I dont need the backlit keyboard, wouldnt mind having it, but I generally use my laptop in good lighting. And I can type in the dark once I find home row :)

I guess I really was wondering if the .4 would make much difference. as I am using 2.4 now, but like someone said with the new ram, video processor, and such it will feel the same as my old 2.4?

I mostly use it for web design work, dreamweaver cs4 and some Photoshop. They ran nicely on my blackbook so I expect that they would on the unibody 2.0

Thanks again, I think I am gonna save the money and put it into a timecapsule!

12. CharlesX macrumors member

CharlesX

That blackbook isn't even a year old. If you're going to buy a new computer once year, then the 2.0Ghz is the way to go since it will hold its resale value better and handle anything you need for the rest of the year. If you need something more long term, then why not look for a bargain-priced 2.4?

No, they meant that the 2.0 would be as fast as the blackbook 2.4, although I can't corroborate that. Certainly the 2.4 unibody would be faster than your 2.4 blackbook.

13. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

Get the 2.4, the illuminated keyboard is great.

14. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

The 2.0GHz will be plenty powerful enough for you, especially once Snow Leopard is out.

15. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

well if you type in a really, really dark room the backlit keyboard will let you see the keys! I live in a dark house with no lights and I decided to pay the extra money and get the backlights because i need to see my keys!

/kidding :p

16. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Thank you, I was going to come in and thread-jack asking which would be the better buy if I'm the type of guy that likes to upgrade his machines every year lol. I was thinking a 2.4ghz but getting that extra $300 is a little tough, and I know I would upgrade to 4GB Ram and up the HDD, so I too think a 2.0 should be fine, esp if I only plan to have it for a year.. depending.

a second question though, how is the real world difference in the 2.4 vs 2.0 in terms of some light gaming. I've looked it up and Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3 are playable on these machines and those are titles I would like to get, only b/c I feel these games are meant to be played on a PC rather than on my PS3/360 =D

17. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Keep in mind as well that if/when you decide to sell your alum MacBook, you will get a higher percentage of return from the original value. This is pretty much true for any of the low end Macs.

18. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I love my 2.4 and really like the backlit keyboard, comes in handy when surfin the web in the dark.

19. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I got the 2.4. For me the extra 400mhz and hard drive space made up a lot. Plus the backlit keyboard is pretty spiffy ;)

20. rom macrumors regular

0.4GHz, 90GB of HDD and illuminated keyboard are very well worth the extra $.

I come from the Macbook Pro and decided to "down-grade" to the Macbook but only because it was [1] lighter and [2] has illuminated keyboard.

Had Apple omitted the illuminated keyboard, I wouldn't have considered the Macbook. :p

21. shiftmx05 macrumors newbie

if your tight on money get the 2.0,
    my mac (see sig) has plenty of power for me..

so if just depends on your $$ and needs

Good Luck!!

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The new 2.0 will destroy your Blackbook in terms of graphics power, but will be a bit slower in CPU-intensive apps like Handbrake.

23. fk51785 macrumors regular

I got 2.4 and I am glad I did.
    I am planning on keeping the macbook for long time
    so I went for 2.4.
    I will upgrade ram when ram prices drop for 4GB.

24. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I bought the 2.4GHz for longevity. For a few hundred bucks I get a couple of features which, as others indicate, may or may not be that valuable. Everything else can be upgraded easily later -- not the processor though.

25. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

This was a big selling point for me, because my iBook G4 keys were nearly all worn off by the time I replaced it. I know it's a quick thing to get replaced, but the nearest Apple store to me is about 3 hours away, and I had a hard time justifying sending it away just to get the keyboard replaced, and at the time, I didn't feel comfortable replacing it myself. I would do so without qualms now, but I do like not having to worry about such a small annoyance.

That said, I have used both the 2.0 and the 2.4 and both are great. For my wants and needs, I went with the 2.4, but many thing the advantages of the 2.4 aren't worth the price difference. Either way you go, you're getting a great machine.