Unibody 2.8 Boot Camp problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Nov 18, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hi all. I've tried this same thing (twice) on my new unibody 2.8GHz model. I set up a 32GB partition and made it as FAT32. then I went through the regular XP setup. I inserted the grey disc that came with the MBP, and the drivers installed fine. I reboot as I was told to. However, on both times that I tried doing up boot camp, my MBP would then stop recognizing keyboard input and trackpad input. The two were just dead in windows, but were fully functional both in OS X and the boot selection window (by pressing alt/option during boot up, if you have boot camp set up), but simply unresponsive in Windows. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've never had this problem on my previous MBPs?

2. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. toddwoodford macrumors newbie

I had the same problem... I completely started over and setup the drive to do NTFS over Fat32 and XP Pro installed perfectly with no issues. I would recommend installing bootcamp with NTFS, XP PRO Full installation disk with service pack two, once you do all the windows software updates, install VM Ware Fusion but point VM Ware to use the bootcamp partion and you will be very happy. I leave fusion running in the background under the unity option and i truly feel like i have to very powerful systems.

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I had this problem with an older MBP. Basically the 32GB number doesn't seem exact and a FAT32 partition can only be 32GB maximum. If I reduced the partition size down a little then everything worked fine. I don't remember for sure, but I had to set it to 31 or 30GB to get it to work. Took a long time to figure this out.

5. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

No but that's the funny thing. At first, when I just install the Windows XP, the installation actually works. It actually is capable of working at that point. But it's after I install the drivers and reboot to initialize them that the keyboard and trackpad actually stop responding. And I know for a fact that it's not a hardware problem, as I could still hold down alt to bring up boot selection on startup, and I could still move my mouse and keyboard then. And yes, I'm installing the drivers from the grey install disc that came with the unibody MBP.

6. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

7. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Right. Now that was weird. FAT32 was the culprit. I formatted as NTFS and it ran fine.