Unibody 2008 fan noise when playing media

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SwiftPolloloco, Aug 3, 2011.

1. SwiftPolloloco macrumors newbie

Hi folks!
    I own a unibody MacBook and have been using it with Plex/XBMC and DVD player/VLC to play my movies/tv shows from NAS or disc. It has 2GB RAM, 2,0GHz C2D CPU.

I'm a little annoyed that the fans start spinning loudly when I play DVD's or watch even SD content through Plex or any other application. Is there any way of minimizing that? Throttling down the CPU or buffering more. It gets annoying when I'm watching movies with quiet scenes in them...
    Thanks in advance!

2. cesn15 macrumors newbie

Hey,
    Thats the fan kicking in since you are using CPU ressources. I would advice against manipulating the fan in that case. A software that would manipulate the fan is SMC Fan Controller. But again use at your own risk as heat is bad for you Mac and would cause damage.PS: SMC Fan Controller is usually used to increase your fan speed, but you can control it at will.

3. SwiftPolloloco thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I will try SMC in conjunction with tempmonitor to see if that has any effect.

I was hoping for a way to limit the applications from using full throttle to play a DVD, which I think should be possible, since DVDs aren't heavily encoded.

But I guess such a solution does not exist?

4. cesn15 macrumors newbie

You're welcome but i advise against it.

[/QUOTE]I was hoping for a way to limit the applications from using full throttle to play a DVD, which I think should be possible, since DVDs aren't heavily encoded.[/QUOTE]

My guess is the fan speed increases because the superdrive heats up.

[/QUOTE]But I guess such a solution does not exist?[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of

5. valmorra macrumors member

Open up your MacBook and completely clean the fan. Look up tutorials on how to do it on YouTube. The noise will be reduced drastically.