unibody anti-glare disassembly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murdercitydevil, May 25, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Does anyone know how to disassemble a unibody ANTIGLARE screen? Specifically, how to get behind the actual LCD to where the apple logo is? Thanks.

2. cyclical macrumors regular

I don't, but I'm curious what you're planning on doing :)

3. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Are you trying to change the apple logo color? I ended up just buying a colored vinyl to do that.

4. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I would like to put an insert on the logo, yes. But I probably won't try it unless there's a guide...I called ifixit and they said it's possible, that they're trying to get around to writing a guide.

I know you can take apart the actual display, as in, take it apart from the rest of the computer...but how to take the screen off is the problem. I assume the bezel is just being held with 3m tape like the glossy version, minus the glass.

I might try taking a look at it later.

5. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I hate to bring up an old thread, but i searched around pretty good for the same question and couldn't find anything.

So i have a 15 in i5 hires antiglare and want to do the same thing. Is there a guide for this?

6. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

I found this for you using a top secret method called Google:

Link to the Guide

And there are few YouTube videos as well, but you'll have to look for them yourself ;)

7. calvy macrumors 65816

Thanks, but he said anti glare. The version that doesn't have glass.

I want to know this too. I am however assuming that the silver bezel snaps on just like the old machines used to. But I'm not willing to rip it apart to test that theory.

8. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

thanks for the links, however, I have an antiglare unibody. ergo, no glass. I'm thinking it is a mix between how the older mbps/powerbook screens and the new unibody screens come off. However, i don't want to try this without a guide.

9. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

10. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

No, i'm looking for that same guide, but for a new antiglare unibody. See the difference in the two machines. The one on the right doesn't have glass.

[​IMG]

11. calvy macrumors 65816

On the one hand, all of you posters who can't read are bumping the thread up. So that gets it attention. But on the other I'd really like to hear an answer to the actual question.

12. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

sorry my bad :( oh well

<-- creeps off back into the hole he came from :) hope ya find the answer....

13. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

You say you want to do the same thing, but was is that exactly? I read this whole thread carefully, and the only thing I can find is a reference to changing the color of the Apple logo; what is the purpose of that?

14. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

The purpose is to make it look awesome. Its purely cosmetic. This is what i would make mine look like.
    [​IMG]

15. calvy macrumors 65816

And I want to know simply in case I ever have to replace an LCD panel on in one of these machines.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The antiglare bezel is glued on, so you need a heat gun to melt the glue and then a knife to peel it off. Very easy to bend the aluminium out of shape, so I'd be careful.

17. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

If you read the iFixit instructions to see how much trouble it is to get inside the
    display, you'd forget about changing the color on the Apple logo real quick. :D

18. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

i read the instructions for the glass display. I was just hoping the antiglare was more like the old powerbook style macbook pros