Unibody Battery Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacMacMac8, May 11, 2012.

1. MacMacMac8 macrumors newbie

A while back the fan died on my computer. It is no longer under warranty so I decided to order the parts and replace it myself. Somehow in the process my battery stopped working. I finally got around to ordering a new battery. After installing it, and doing an SMC reset I am still getting the "No batteries available" message with a big X over the battery. I don't know what else to do. It runs fine off the power adapter, but if I accidentally knock the cord out it shuts off. I thought a new battery would surely fix the issue. Is anyone out there experienced with this sort of stuff, or have any suggestions?

Any help is appreciated.

Battery Information:

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 0
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 0
    Battery Installed: No
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 0

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 30
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
    Wake On LAN: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    Battery Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
    Charging: No

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Is it the correct battery? Any way to get the battery checked to see if it's defected? Ask the seller for help since they're probably more experienced in these situations.

3. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Are you sure it was a battery that you put in there? I've seen people install all sorts of bizarre things into their MBP without knowing what it was.

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Just wondering.. what have you seen? I have trouble seeing when people spend $2000 on a macine and try to do *** with it.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'm not one for tinkering around with the innards of my MBP (nothing beyond swapping out the HDD for an SSD), but is it possible that while you were repairing the fan something got bumped and came loose inside? It sounds like a really big coincidence that the battery stopped working just after that. With both the old and new batteries not working, it sounds like a connection somewhere got loosened or something. Just a thought.

6. MacMacMac8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Positive it is the correct battery. I wouldn't think it is defective since I was having problems with the battery before it.

Can't tell if joking....

That's what I was thinking, I just have no idea what that would be or how to fix it.

7. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

Did you try bringing it into an apple store to see what they have to say? Warranty or not they usually will still look at it for you and give you your options. something in your logic board could be causing all of this trouble and simply replacing them over and over might just be a waste of time and money.