unibody caddy options for 2nd drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jpalessi, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Jpalessi macrumors member

here are the 2 i'm interested in. if anyone has experience with either or these or would like to share other options I'd appreciate it. To be honest i like the OWC stuff but it seems too pricey for what it is n im not sure its worth it.

AYAgroup
    Caddy:
    http://www.ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=18945
    Opti drive encloser: http://www.ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=18973

OWC
    Caddy:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/DDAMBS0GB/
    Opti drive encloser http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/VLSS9TOPTU2/

2. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Just get the AYA one, it will function exactly the same. Remember to put the ssd in the optibay if your going that route.

PS. if you are who I think you are Mugen rules

3. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

hahah. thanks bro. Mugen for life! whats the reasoning for using the optibay for the ssd over the standard location? just curious.

4. ThemacNub macrumors regular

The hard drive bay is set up so that it absorbs the force from a drop, so that the hard drive does not skip and damage itself. This feature ill be wasted on an ssd since it has no moving parts and your hard disk drive will be more likely to damage if you drop your MBP

5. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

good to know., i also read somewhere there is a sensor that reads rpm or something. idk if there is any truth to that but i wanted to see what you knew. I bought the WC's (Cody) MBP the other day, he crashed his bmw n needed money. just got a crucial 8gb kit and im looking at a samsung 830 64gb ssd :)

6. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Samsung is one of the best SSD's on the market, also check out Crucial M4's if you can get it for a cheaper price. Both very reliable and fast drives. What model MBP do you have?

7. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

cool, i was looking at crucial, intell n samsung, but the samsung seems to be the best bang for the buck n the reviews are good. I like the intell has a 5 yr warranty but realistically i wont run the drive for 5 yrs so i dont think it justifies the extra cheese... my MBP i believe is only sata 2 but the prices are better on sata 3..

Attached Files:

8. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Your hard drive bay has sata 3 but the optibay has sata 2. So you have to decide whether or not you wont the speed or the safety.

9. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

i appreciate the info. in your opinion how much faster is sata 3? i really dont plan on dropping it, lol but i do tend to pick it up from the front corner where the optibay is so i could see it being a problem over time with flex if im constantly picking it up from that corner of the unit. something to think about while waiting for my parts.. contemplating upgrading the hdd drive too while im in there. only a 250 in there now.

10. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Personally sata 3 is not that big of a deal. Its really the random read/write speeds that you want, and I doubt that they'll be saturating the sata 2. Do not worry about picking it up from the corners, they are fairly rigid machines. If you need the space get either a Samsung M8 1TB or a Western Digital Scorpio blue 1TB. Both run at 5400rpm. If you don't need that much space or want a 7200rpm drive, you can get others but make sure that they are 9.5mm or less if it is going in the optibay if you decide to do it that way.

11. Jpalessi, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

I was actually looking at both of those drives earlier as well as the seagate. my buddy keeps telling me to get a 7200 but both the specs from apple and ps3 say 5400 only and it would either be in one of those 2 machines. i do like the idea of running samsung for both ssd n hdd. I think i might just get it so I can install everything at once. are there battery upgrades? if yes whats your take?

i really appreciate the advice n if you ever need anything with mugen lmk id be happy to be able to return the favor.

12. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Id just stick with the M8, because it only has 2 platters it benches close to 7200rpm drives in speed. 7200 drives will work too. The battery on MBP is very good should be able to get to 6 hours (Not quite long enough for a full Sunday) with bright at 50% and avoiding flash. There probably are 3rd party batteries but I would stick with the Apple one.

13. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

very good. i think i got all the info I need to make a smart buy. now i just gotta figure out what bay to put what drive... i think i might just say screw it n put the ssd in the center just cause it'll kill me not to use the full capability of the sata3 ssd.. even if it's not much of a difference, I'll know in my head. lol.

14. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Great, let us know how it goes and if you get stuck setting up the drives

15. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

once i get everything installed is there somewhere i can go to read a "how to" setup the drives?

16. ThemacNub macrumors regular

I can only help you if you want to revert back to Snow Leopard when you clean install. I do not know how to do it with Lion. Best to search mac rumors or check the Apple support pages.

17. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

well i know lion doesn't come with some of the standard apps like "iphoto" i just went through all that with this MBP cause i had to do a wipe to get rid of codys name as the owner. anyway can i just transfer everything from my current drive using a cheap encloser or do i have to start from scratch? if from scratch id start with sno leopard just so i can get iphoto n the other missing apps. also FYI once you install lion you cant go back to snow leopard cause of a firmware update. maybe you know that but i thought i would share.

18. ThemacNub macrumors regular

I have read that others have reverted to SL at the loss of some system stability. The most seem less way to transfer your information would be to make a time machine back up of your system and during the Lion/Snow Leopard install chose to install from the back up. I cant speak confidently on Lion as I have zero installation experience.