unibody, disc won't go in cd drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DukeOliver, Oct 3, 2009.

1. DukeOliver macrumors member

Have a macbook unibody from fall 2008. Upon trying to insert a CD into the drive, only half of it will enter freely. The system doesn't respond that there's a CD present, and the CD can't be forced in any further. I tried the force-eject on restart, so no CD of any kind is still lodged in there. Pressing the eject button while booted into the OS doesn't produce that little image with the arrow either, it's as if the button isn't functional.

Is there some kind of system security I've accidentally triggered that won't accept CD's, or is there something wrong with my drive?

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Fire up Terminal.app and do:

Code:
    drutil eject
    See if that spits out anything. If it doesn't, then you have several possibilities:

1. Drive isn't aligned with the frame
    2. Drive has something still in it
    3. Drive motor has failed

3. DukeOliver thread starter macrumors member

yuck, the CD drive also makes a weird sound upon startup.

4. DukeOliver thread starter macrumors member

The eject produced the same sound in the drive that happens when I boot up or wake up. Came across a little youtube tutorial on how to remove the super drive
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kd9gEkaZLo&feature=related
    so I plan to do that sometime soon and see what's up. Though I might just opt to driving to nearest mac store and talking with the techs there

5. geoffshep macrumors member

I guess you are close to your warranty period expiring? I had something similar with my new macbook. The disc would load but not show and had continuous whirring noises. I called the help desk and he could even hear the noises over the phone - they shipped a replacement out straight away.