unibody for web design

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nks14, Feb 2, 2009.

1. nks14 macrumors newbie

just sold my 2.1 whitebook and i want to buy a new unibody.
    the main problem is that here in romania apple notebooks are very expensive:
    -mb unibody 2.0ghz - 1607$
    -mb unibody 2.4ghz - 2008$
    -mbp unibody 2.4, 15" 2.4ghz - 2443$
    -open box mbp 2.4ghz (early 08) - 1546$
    they all have 2gb and the hdd differs from one model to another (standard apple)

so, my question to you, is what to buy, considering that i'm a web designer and i use coda/photoshop cs3/illustrator cs3 (running at the same time) and maybe i'll give a try to cs4.

ps: still a student, but if let's say the 2.4mbp would really help my work, i'd spend all my money on it.

2. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

The current whitebook will handle all of that easily. No need to splurge if it's not necessary, plus, the new graphics chipset in the whitebook also means it will easily handle Snow Leopard when it is released. :)

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I can say with 100% confidence that the 2.4GHz MacBook Pro will give no performance boost whatsoever over the 2.4GHz MacBook in the applications you listed.

That said, I don't think the difference between the 2.0GHz and the 2.4GHz would be that great either - benchmarks have shown it to be marginal. Go with the 2.0GHz model.

4. Doju macrumors 68000

No, don't. Backlit keyboard is godly.

5. nks14 thread starter macrumors newbie

400$ for .4ghz and a bigger hard drive? i don't think so. i tought about buying the 2.0, just like neiltc13 said. and with the rest of the money upgrade the RAM(2->4gb), buy a new adaptor (i also have a 19" monitor).

i'd like to buy applecare too, but in romania they don't sell applecare, although we have applecare service centers. by the way, is it possible to buy applecare from ebay and register it to a fictive address in the US? i cannot register it in romania ...

6. Doju macrumors 68000

You'll regret the lack of Backlit Keyboard, but whatever.

7. nks14 thread starter macrumors newbie

owh, i forgot to say: i also have a wireless alu keyboard and i use it often. so, the backlit is not for me. besides, i type very fast/accurate so i don't need to look at the keys (i also don't use the romanian symbols - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tters.jpg/180px-Romanian_keyboard_letters.jpg).

regarding the large hdd, i also have the WD 160GB passport USB2.0

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Do you have a crystal ball?

9. kolax macrumors G3

Guess he doesn't, but I've used my MBP in the dark and turned off the backlit keyboard to watch a movie. Heck, I couldn't see a single key.

Even in low lit conditions, it is a must.

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'm guessing you (and other people who argue the same point) must need to eat more carrots. In a completely dark room I can see every key on my MacBook completely fine when they are illuminated solely by the light from the display.

How often are you in a situation where you are in a dark room and don't have control of the lighting yourself?

It costs a significant amount to get the model with the backlit keyboard, and to me it is a waste of money.

11. kolax macrumors G3

Carrots don't help us see better at all, it's a myth ;)

Lets say a lecture theatre, since the OP is a student. Even just poor lighting - can make it hard to see the keyboard.

Having it backlit makes life much easier - I am a touch typer and don't look at the keys, but for things like changing volume etc on the F keys, illumination is very useful.

12. nks14 thread starter macrumors newbie

let's make things clear: if the $400 difference (in my case, at the romanian apple store) is about performance, i'd pay the money. but if you say that the $400 won't improve the speed in apps like adobe's cs3, but only will give me 2LEDs for the keyboard and additional 90GB of hard drive, then i'll pass.

i'm looking for speed, performance, not an easy way to type or store movies/songs. and, i'll repeat: i also have a wireless apple keyboard that i often use.

so, after all the lecture, is the .4ghz (in the unibody mb or mbp) going to help me working in photoshop and illustrator cs3/4?

13. Commonmind macrumors member

I work in multimedia, professionally, and I can say with confidence that you will see no significant increase in performance in those particular applications.

As for the argument of whether or not you need a backlit keyboard, that's 100% subjective. If you feel you don't need it, you're probably right (where you are concerned).