Unibody Glossy Screen... Warning: Absurd Comment!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dirkph, Dec 15, 2008.

1. dirkph macrumors member

Probably the number one, most complained about characteristic of the new unibody MBP is the glossy screen. Granted, it is much more reflective than its matte predecessors.

However...

If you guys ever get the chance, place the new unibody MBP beside the older matte version... pump them both up to full brightness... maybe you'll change your mind.

The new screens are absolutely stunning compared to every other laptop screen I have ever seen. It's sharper, the colors are much more vivid and accurate (the whites are incredible), it's considerably brighter, and in my opinion, I would take the glossy screen over any matte screen any day.

Under regular lighting conditions and regular usage, I can't see how anybody could prefer the matte screen over this beaut!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's stunning because it messes with the color profile. Working with colors, professionals need an accurate display of what will be printed.

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Yep, completely agree.

The sharpness and purity of it is staggering. Full brightness, the reflections aren't that bad, but the reflections add a weird sort of ambience to it!

I probably couldn't go back to using a matte screen now - too washed out and the pixels are "fuzzy".

4. lloydh macrumors member

No matter how bright the screen, black regions will reflect surrounding objects. Further, full brightness on the latest MB(P)s is often too bright.

Theoretically the colour accuracy of a calibrated and profiled glossy screen will be better than that of a matte screen (as light from the pixels is diffused by the anti-glare coating). Sharpness should be superior too.

Ultimately I'm satisfied with mine; it's certainly less of an issue than it has been made out to be.

5. lscangus macrumors 6502

I would agree the screen is amazing, after calibrating, the screen is pretty accurate. But the reflections are horrible = =

6. wankey macrumors 6502a

Glass glossiness has never been a problem for regular users. It's just graphics designers who have issues with it due to calibration and such things.

High end graphics designers don't even touch macbook pros to do their busy work so it doesn't really matter anyway.

7. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Graphic designer don't care about the amazing colours. They want accurate colours.

8. wankey macrumors 6502a

Exactly my point

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I thought this was an old myth that glossy screens can't be calibrated properly.

10. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Perhaps a PRO graphic designer can chime in here. As far as I know, even if high end graphic designers prefer the matte to glossy for obvious reasons...from what I know you CAN'T get true accurate colour on ANY laptop screen, matte or glossy (although matte is closer). The graphic designers I know all use MacBook Pros however they run them to PROFESSIONAL external monitors which can be calibrated properly.

11. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

It's not that I don't like sharp and bright colors, but if the price for this is the horrible reflections that I've seen on it.....

12. lscangus macrumors 6502

The best monitor and most accurate ones you can get are still CRT i think.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah too bad Sony stopped making the Trinitron monitors.

14. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I actually liked the gloss in previous MBP - not so much the extra glass in the new models. And my lid stayed open too. The glass is a bit much and even if I don't get the reflections in the display area when on, I do get them on the black area surrounding it which I am not fond of.

15. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

not sure i can complain. ive seen the new ones and they look great. i have the old matte and as for calibration: it matters not when you have a screen that only outputs 65k anyway. blacks and darker colours are all dead, dropping off suddenly into dense shadows. no detail or anything. that would apply for both the new and old screen.

glossy is not the problem for professionals.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A glossy screen will always be more saturated. In fact, that is why people seem to love them. From a true color perspective, I need something that can be easy to calibrate and show true colors, which is what the external monitor is for.

17. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the glass is just hard to deal with when in a color-specific field. My wife has a 24" Alum. iMac for her wedding photography and it was a PAIN to get it calibrated to where colors are true to what she prints. We managed to get it working, but it took quite a few days of hard work to make it satisfactory.

The supersaturation just looks good on the screen -- but it sure doesn't help when you need it OFF the screen.