Unibody graphics glitch......

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nzmc36, Nov 18, 2008.

1. nzmc36 macrumors member

UP-DATE: here's a link showing the error, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aKYeBA0NaI

I've one of the new MBP (2.8GHz etc), it has been running well, no complaints other than the way it sucks the battery dry... when in 'go-fast' mode. It certainly doesn't handle any sort of image library unless running the discrete graphics chip.

Anyway, recently when running a web clip (for example... http://www.streetfighter.ducati.it/main_en.html), sections of the whole screen will start flashing, not individual pixels, but squared off sections, some small, some a 1/4 the size of the screen. Has anyone else encounter this? It's not just this clip, but when loading some web pages a similar thing will occur. Usually just during the upload. Didn't happen before (that I can recall) before the touch pad up-date, tho' I can't be sure.

As soon as this post is up, I'm going to switch to the on-board graphics and see if the issue is related to one system or the other.... not good. Especially a pain having to log out to switch graphics..... I really hope Apple sort this out with the next OSX up-date.

2. nzmc36 thread starter macrumors member

only happens with the 9600M GT card: not 9400M

Okay, just checked it out... it only happens with the 9600M GT card.

When running the integrated 9400M processor there is no problem at all. If anyone else is having this issue, please post.... what to sort this out ASAP. Cheers..

3. nzmc36 thread starter macrumors member

opps... here's the better thread... but it's for the older version of the MBP. No mention of the newer version... the problem appears to be exactly the same. I'm going to video the 2 clips and email them in to Apple.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=578050

4. Nate025 macrumors regular

Just ran the clip you posted on both gpu's and no problems to report. Also running a 2.8ghz unibody.

Post your videos you take so others who might be having the same problems can identify them.

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I don't see any problems with a 2.8GHz and both GPUs either. People really need to stop assuming that every problem they see is happening to everyone.

6. Nate025 macrumors regular

Doesn't appear to me that the OP is stating this in any of his above posts.

7. nzmc36 thread starter macrumors member

As soon as I figure out how to post a clip I'll post it (thanks).

Also, I'm not assuming this is happening to everyone else, it's just very coincidental the the issue I'm having is the same as the glitches with the previous MBP graphics. I really hope this is just an issue I'm having... but every time in the past when I have had an issue, it has been a wider problem... so I suspect more people will begin to experience this problem. As such, a point of reference is important for those new to Mac/this forum that maybe having problems.

8. adster macrumors regular

9. nzmc36 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the links... yes it was similar, but a little more blocky (if that makes sense)... rather than whole sections horizontally across the screen going out, sections, or blocks, would do the same thing. The whole screen never flashed out completely like that.

I took another few tests yesterday and it seems only to happen when its been working hard (hot), I tried as soon as it came out of sleep and and there was no problem, so it's not doing it every time... periodic it seems.

10. hroos macrumors newbie

graphics problem with unibody MBPro

Hello,
    I have my unibody MBPro since last week and do seem to have the same problem, which is best noticed when scrolling up and down whith the mouse in de 'Energy Save' mode (on batteries). When connected to a power adapter the problem dissapears :eek:

11. nzmc36 thread starter macrumors member

Better late than never

Okay, finally got a short video clip of the issue. It's an issue with both the power cord in and out, mainly with the discrete video graphics.

here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aKYeBA0NaI

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Something interesting started happening recently after i updated my 17" unibody, every time i restart if i was in 9600 mode it will revert to the 9400 if im running on battery, its really annoying, but i guess its Apples way of trying to get us to use the 9400 when we're on battery.

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I don't have that after I restart... I stay on whatever video card I selected even when running on battery

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I just tried it on my colleagues 17" and it happens as well.

15. nzmc36 thread starter macrumors member

Well the IT folks at the University are looking at it now.... so we shall see.

16. nzmc36 thread starter macrumors member

Fixed!!!

Well, after much a-do, it turns out if you empty the Cache in Safari the graphics show no sign of the flickering... go figure. I did that about a month ago and its all been good.