Unibody Hardisk semi-dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by radionickhead, May 16, 2009.

1. radionickhead macrumors regular

I have a Unibody Alu macbook...been taking great care of it since I got it over the last 4-5 months..
    It was in sleep mode and I just opened the lid and I got the rainbow circle thing..and my macbook was ticking..I closed the lid and opened it and nothing happened...I rebooted and my hardisk ticked again and I got the boot screen with a question mark.
    I switched it off, took out the battery and rebooted it and I'm back on it now..and it seems normal..
    What happened?
    What should I do?

Thanks..

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Boot from the Install Disc by holding D to run a hardware test ... then boot from the disc again holding C to repair disk from the Disk Utility menu.

3. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

I did all that..
    everything seemed to be OK.
    No problems so far, but still very odd how that happened..

Should I prepare myself for future hardisk death?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You should always be prepared for HDD death by maintaining a current backup. If you are using Time Machine, or doing manual backups regularly, then you are prepared.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Quoted for emphasis.

Always, always, always have a backup.

I have a hard time feeling bad for people who lose substantial amounts of data because they have no backup. Especially on a laptop. One drop or well-placed impact, and boom! No more data.

6. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

I understand that, and appreciate the emphasis and all but I'm more worried about what to do now/ what to expect in terms of my actual hardisk..
    Any other tests I can check? Or if I should send it to apple to check it..I have exams now and this is literally the worst period for my laptop to die on me.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think that taking it to Apple will just result in a No problems found/unable to reproduce symptoms diagnosis.

8. radionickhead thread starter macrumors regular

alright thanks..if anyone else has different input it'd be much appreciated..I guess ill just have to hope it was my hardisk weirding out for some reason.