Unibody Hoopla

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Yr Blues, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Why didn't they make a big deal about the Unibody process when the Air came out? :rolleyes: Me thinks they needed to pad the announcement. Other than the trackpad and innards, there isn't much to WOW the average consumer.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Or you could look at it the other way and think that the Unibody thing would be completely overshadowed by the other differences the Air had, so would be buried in the news when it was announced.

Plus Air was a totally new product - they didn't have anything to compare it to, unlike the MacBook and Pro announcements.

3. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

I kind of agree, but on the other hand, it is a big difference from the old designs, especially the old MacBooks, which were prone to palm rest cracks and they also had that superficial screw on the left side (which was all squishy and weird).

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

The unibody announcement was made since now all portables have them. If it was announced with the Air, then we would assume it could come to the rest of the line up and it would not have the same impact.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Don't underestimate the reason for marketing departments. ;)

You know they'd sell a ton of a 12" with backlit keys. :D That was my favorite design.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

all but 2 of them ... the really high (17"mbp) and the really low ($999 mb)