Unibody iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nateharr, May 31, 2010.

1. nateharr macrumors 6502

After watching this video I am beginning to think the new iPhone will feature a unibody chassis.

Does anyone agree, or is my hypothesis stupid?

2. tuna macrumors 6502

Considering that the video is of a clamshell phone...

3. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Let's all be clear on something...

When one refers to "unibody" they are referring to the unibody frame from the MacBook Pro. Frame.

The iPhone doesn't have a frame; the circuitry is encapsulated within a shell. Therefore, it is non-sensical to talk about unibody with respect to the iPhone.

Get it?

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Actually from the take apart pictures, it does quite look like the metal chassis part of the phone is made using same manufacturing technique as unibody chassis for macbooks. so it may well be.

5. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

What video did you watch? This video is of an Portuguese man showing the chassis of the new iPhone that will supposedly be announced June 7th at WWDC.

That's my point. All previous iPhones have been assembled with multiple layers of metal encased in plastic.

The new iPhone seems to be a single piece of metal that the screen and digitizer would be attached to and then the glass/plastic/ceramic be attached to the back.

The unibody MacBooks are made in a similar fashion with the entire "frame" (chassis) made of aluminum and the internals placed in afterwards. It is then all covered with the aluminum plate with the eight screws on the bottom.

6. tuna macrumors 6502

A unibody to me would mean that it would be like the MacBook pros, where the electronics would slide into the frame. That video clearly showed 2 pieces. The aluminum frame was open. There was the black piece to contain the electronics.

7. arubinst macrumors 6502

Dude... the guy is Portuguese! :D

8. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

Portuguese....right...that's what I said. :)

Sorry, I was on my iPhone earlier and I didn't get the video description.