Unibody Late 09 MacBook Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jony Mac, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

How is everyone else's battery? I've gotten 60 charges on mine, and its now at 88%. Is it that normal for 10 months to drop that much? Any tips or suggestions if its possible to reclaim anything back? I tried Apple's suggestion a couple times of working on the notebook until its dead, (it will go to sleep on its own), then leave it for 10 hours like that...then charge it back up.

Didnt really see any improvements.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The actual steps for calibration are in the link below. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmm, seeing as this is 10 months old, has 60 cycles, and is at 88% is it worth taking it in and replacing.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Chances are very great they won't replace it unless it's below 80%, as stated in the FAQ I just posted, but it doesn't cost anything but time to take it in. Your cycles and health are well within acceptable guidelines for a healthy battery.

5. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Is resetting the SMC worth trying? Will that harm anything? Thanks again.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it won't harm anything at all. Also, if you haven't already, I suggest calibrating, using the steps in the link I posted. It really will be helpful if you read all of that FAQ.

7. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Yeah I've done that before...would the SMC be my next step or try SMC then calibrate ?

8. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Re-calibrate the battery and see if the capacity(mAh) goes up. It won't report the capacity accurately unless you calibrate every 1-2 months.

I really don't see any reason to reset the SMC, but if it makes you happy. =P

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't matter which order. Resetting SMC is very fast, so I'd do that first, then calibrate as soon as you're able.

10. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I figured resetting the SMC since unread that also. I tried it. I havent calibrated in a month or so, so maybe that could help

11. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

I just want to point out that Calibrating only effects the visual showing of Percentage, mAh, Time Left and all that crap.

It doesn't actually change the amount of time your battery lasts between charges. Oh, and here's the direct link to the calibration page - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/9036.html

Think of calibrating as teaching your MacBook how long your battery acts through a full charge/discharge cycle. Once it has that info, it can give you a accurate guess on the Percentage, mAh & Time Left stuff.

12. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I don't have problems of it dying just reporting. But I was concerned with the figures only 10 months in.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For reference, the explanation of calibration, as well as the link and the quoted steps also appear in the Battery FAQ I posted.
    Also as explained in the FAQ, your battery health will fluctuate both up and down over time. It's perfectly normal.

14. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Sorry, I didn't mean to step on your toes (seriously). I just thought a direct link to the Apple doc would be nice. Your Battery FAQ is a nice bit of info. =)

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't step on my toes. As I said, for the benefit of reference, if one bookmarks the FAQ, they'll also have access to that link, as well as a lot more links and information on batteries and charging. I wasn't implying anything wrong with your post. It's always good to have people posting accurate, factual information. There are too many in the forum who don't.

16. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I just tested my battery on my Macbook and I got this....

[​IMG]

17. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Ugh lol. Hopefully I can get mine back that high.

18. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

So i drained it yesterday and let it sleep / off all night. I'll probably charge it tonight. Its funny how hard and long it is to kill the battery when you want to. lol.

19. street.cory macrumors 6502

street.cory

My battery stats!

MBP Unibody August 09

I like how i've had 548 battery loadcycles and my laptop is only 7 months older than your guys's. Looks like i'm probably gonna kill my laptop battery first!

Attached Files:

20. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Well after the calibration, mine is still at 88%. I really didnt see an imporvement. *sigh* I guess I could try it again in a month or so...