Unibody Left Side Making Weird Noises

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omegasyn, Nov 21, 2008.

1. omegasyn macrumors regular

After having a perfect MBP 2.53 for about 2 weeks, the left side of the laptop (left speaker) started having this grinding and tumbling sound like the fan has something struck inside.

My question is, since I can only notice the problem when i put my ear about 1-2 inches close the laptop or if the room is completely silent. Should I risk the chance of bringing in the laptop for repair? because this is my only MAC and I can't afford losing it for 1-2 weeks due to a fan fix.

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

you need to call apple care for an exchange. and tell them you cant stay without the mac so they will ask you for a credit card just to keep a deposit and send you a replacment then you need to send your back within 10 days, you will get the replacment in about a week maybe less because they give you overnight shipping.

3. omegasyn thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good enough, going to give them a call today and hopefully resolve the issue.

It is a good thing that I purchased a separate HDD so I won't go through the trouble of loading up leopard again. But then my question is, once I send this machine back with the original OS that has been installed on the previous OS, won't something conflicting occur?

4. evilzero macrumors newbie

I had the very same problem with you. I've had it for almost a month. (bought it when it came out) . So yesterday I went to apple store to get it fixed, I was expecting they'll ship my mbp and I have to wait for my replacement.

To my surprise, they replaced me a brand new perfect mbp and they swap the HD so that I won't lose my data, and the new machine is perfect, I had fan problem and it gets hot easily, now it's silent and smooth. I think you should bring it to the store. I have 2.4 stock retail mbp by the way.

5. omegasyn thread starter macrumors regular

What would you consider getting hot easily? My CPU temps idle around 42-45 and when utilized, It'll hit around 65-80.

BTW, I called up apple and they said my best choice would be to visit an apple store for a fan replacement? I wonder how long those take :/

6. evilzero macrumors newbie

When I say hot, I meant that it's really hot u don't wanna touch it :/
    It took me less than 15 minutes waiting, but u have to make an appointment before that.

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

not every apple store has the new fans, they told me to call applecare to get it shipped back to them so i dont know why they told you that, but its was your choice anyway. you can just say no, and tell them you want them to ship you a replacement.