Unibody Mac/LCD/Iphone Repair - Ridiculous!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dbhad, Aug 12, 2009.

1. dbhad macrumors newbie

I have a 15" MacBook Pro that is loaded. About 1 month after I purchased it, it came out of a zipped bag onto the floor (near heart attack!). I bent a corner on the upper and lower case. It worked fine until recently (it has been awhile).
    I am getting an intermittent band of screwed up display. I went to the Apple Retail Store. They said it would cost about $1200 for a new case! They said they replace the entire display (it isn't cracked). Hell, I could buy a new one for close to that. They said they don't repair individual parts. How convenient.

This is after I ordered a 24" display that took three months to show up(their screw-up). It had some dead pixels to boot. The store supposedly fixed it. Not. I had to make trips totaling close to 600 miles (working out of town) to get it. They have the nerve to tell me to make a separate appointment at the genius bar when my Iphone went down too.

I have missed a lot of time for work, business interruption etc, then they have the nerve to charge me $1200! I don't mind paying fair price, but this is crap. This is fair warning to everyone, who might be thinking about buying these products, or getting service.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...everyone is where of the risks that are associated. For problems that are fixed by the third time, lemon law goes into effect. Try e-mailing Steve.

I take this thread with caution, given your relatively new user status.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's really unfortunate. Most already know the cost of repairs and they do get expensive as you have experienced. The only thing I could suggest is to buy the external casing and perform the repair yourself.

4. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

You dropped it, you pay for it. Accept responsibility. Maybe you shouldn't be buying such expensive toys if you can't take care of them.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So are you complaining that you have to pay for the repair of the MBP which in all likelihood started to fail as a result of it falling. Warranties are for defective equipment, it seems yours was due to negligence.

7. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

People who think their time is more valuable than that of the people who have the ability to help them are annoying.

That is all.

8. ThundrChicken macrumors newbie

Trust me I'm all for Apple taking responsibility of their screwups, but this on all accounts is on your part mate. I still baby my mid 07 MBP (in sig) around, I can only imagine how it must feel to have a brand new uMBP dented. Getting a MBP fixed without being covered can get really expensive, and its sad most people don't realize that. How did it manage to slip out of the zipped bag? Was the bag not zipped?