Unibody Mac mini with 30" ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by byke, Jun 17, 2010.

1. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Does it work, if so with what combination?
    Also what webcam would you recommend for the mini? (since I cant generally find an iSight anymore)

/Cheers

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, it will work with a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, I corrected that while you were posting.

OP, to find webcam suggestions, maybe use MRoogle to find some existing threads about this.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just to add that you need dual-link DVI adapter which costs 99$

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I hope Apple releases the 27" Cinema Display.

5. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Dude... if the 30" ACD costs you what it costs in Europe, for the love of Christ, buy something else. It's horrendously overpriced.

6. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

Wait for the 27".

Or buy 30" or 27" Dell with DisplayPort, so you don't have to buy the DVI-Dual Link adapter.

7. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Unless you must have 30" of screen real estate or the 2560x1600(?) resolution, might I suggest a 27" iMac?

Considering a 30" ACD and base Mini is $2500, you will get significantly more performance for significantly less money. The Core2 27" iMac is $100 cheaper than the 30" ACD and it has better specs and capacities than the Mini - including webcam, microphone and speakers.

I was going to buy a 30" ACD for my 2008 MBP, but decided to spend a bit more and get a 27" quad-core iMac.

9. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

TBH - the reason why I dont own a new school imac or a MBP is simply because I cant stand the reflections the glass gives. Added on top of this that the 27" screens have been plagued with issues regarding quality control has meant that I have resisted buying many Apple products because of this.

At present I use :

First gen 24" iMac (dying grafix card) - Work
    2nd gen MBA - Work travelling.
    Metal Mac Mini - HTPC

So far I have been really impressed with the newer Mac Mini.
    But I am anticipating that in the next few months we may see the arrival of "Project Canvas" which means I will hopefully allow me to use the Mac mini as my work computer. At that point I hope to get a 30" screen in 16:9 in a matt finish (thus the original question)

10. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

TBH - the reason why I dont own a new school imac or a MBP is simply because I cant stand the reflections the glass gives. Added on top of this that the 27" screens have been plagued with issues regarding quality control has meant that I have resisted buying many Apple products because of this.

At present I use :

First gen 24" iMac (dying grafix card) - Work
    2nd gen MBA - Work travelling.
    Metal Mac Mini - HTPC

So far I have been really impressed with the newer Mac Mini.
    But I am anticipating that in the next few months we may see the arrival of "Project Canvas" which means I will hopefully allow me to use the Mac mini as my work computer. At that point I hope to get a 30" screen in 16:9 in a matt finish (thus the original question)

11. ADent macrumors 6502a

Have you looked at the Dell Ultrasharps? There is a 27" 16:9 with DisplayPort and the 30" 16:10 with DVI.