Unibody Macbook 2.0 and Photoshop - Can it be done?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Canonman, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Canonman macrumors newbie

Anybody out there running Photoshop CS4 with a 2.0 unibody Macbook?
    I would like some user thoughts. I am considering the 2.0 macbook and upgrading the ram and hard drive. It's much cheaper than a MBP.

2. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Photoshop runs fine here... admittedly, I'm not editing any files bigger than 50mb, but its always snappy.

3. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

I used Photoshop CS3 on my 1st gen MacBook Core Duo 2 GHz with 1 GB RAM it ran fine :)

4. timmciglobal macrumors member

Runs fantastic both CS4 in Windows boot camp and Cs3 on macbook.

Tim

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

7. MiroMac macrumors member

2GHZ with 4GB ram here. Running CS4 and CS3 with no issues. Haven't had any lag except on extremely large raw files.

8. Canonman thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there any issues running PS4 with an Intuos tablet?

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

im running cs4 and its perfect. i also upgraded my ram to 4gb and got a 7200rpm HDD

10. Aniki macrumors regular

CS3 ran great on an 07 blackbook. Should be fine.

11. maccauni macrumors member

the whole CS4 suite runs fantastically well. Even premiere pro runs very well with good render times.

12. beneto macrumors newbie

Hi I'm interested in buying a macbook or macbook pro...I would go for the macbook 13 inch unibody,but I'm just concerned about it's screen...I'll be doing mainly graphics on it(Photoshop,Illustrator)and music,but I'm concerned about whether the screen is too small or not that good for that kind of stuff(not music:p)...Does anyone have both and if yes which one would you recommend?
    Macbook:2,4 Ghz,4GB DDR3 RAM,320GB SATA HDD(everything else is standard)
    Macbook Pro:2,4 GHz,4GB DDR3 RAM,320GB SATA HDD(7200) 15 inch model
    Please reply...

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If money is no object get the Pro. It has a bigger screen and dedicated graphics.

If money is a driving factor get the Macbook. It still does Ps quit well depending on the number and sizes of the photos you're working on.

I have a unibody Macbook and Ps works fine. The photos are always going to be at around 50-60% size even on the Pro.

14. maccauni macrumors member

i have a Unibody 2.0 2gb ram, but have spent a considerable amount of time with the unibody pro. Im studying multimedia so my day to day work involves mainly using photoshop, illustrator, flash, soundbooth and premiere pro.

The only program i struggle with on the 13" screen is flash, working with the timeline and other windows leaves very little space to work with the stage. Other than that i can easily work with large A3 documents in photoshop quite comfortably.

On the other hand the Pro is much more comfortable working with the Adobe applications, the screen real estate is much better. BUT i find the Pro a lot heavier and bigger, much less comfortable when carrying it in a bag.

If you were to get the Macbook id definatly recommend an external monitor, with the pro its not so crucial. Either way nothing comes close to working on a nice big 24 inch monitor with photoshop/illustrator.

15. paolo- macrumors 6502a

If you don't need the extra graphics card or FW, you're essentially paying 400$ for the larger screen.

400$ can get you a long way in terms of external screens say a 24" dell witch on it's own has almost twice as many pixels as the 15", on top of adding the macbook's 13".

It mostly comes down to, do you do most of your work when on the move ?

16. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

yes, it can be done. however, the screen quality on the MacBook is substantially less than the MacBook Pro. this may not be an issue for you, but it should be taken into consideration if you work with a CMS (color management system).

17. Canonman thread starter macrumors newbie

I swapped out the RAM and the hard drive, reinstalled the MAC OS, bootcamp with XP pro for municipal purposes, since I was not 100% sure that the "mac thing" would work for me. I installed a tablet, CS4 and...
    NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM!!!! Photoshop runs smooooth.

I am not a techie, I know how to use the programs that I need and that's it. I just followed the instructions from the manual and from others here and I am up and running. I will give a "just a regular guy" review with my thoughts on the mac and my experience in a week or so. -I picked the worst time to go through this.

Thanks guys. (guys being gender neutral)