Unibody MacBook 500gb hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by b-e.n, Jun 14, 2009.

1. b-e.n macrumors newbie

I'm going to upgrade my macbook to 4gb of ram and 500 gb 7200 rpm hard drive. The ram part is easy but i've never upgraded my hard drive. How do I backup everything (microsoft office, all documents, leopard)? I basically want to swap hard drives and turn on my computer like i still had the old hard drive (except faster), with all the settings and applications and everything in place as it was before.

2. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

External USB 2.5" enclosure with new drive in it and Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old drive to the new one.
    The swap using Apple's guide: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3419

4. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

5. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

spinnerlys- thanks so much. is it really that easy? Oh, and I have the macbook with easy access to the hard drive so the swap should be ok. Will i really just be able to just turn on my macbook and have everything the same though?

CoffeeWarrior- will i really have that much more vibrations? i read somewhere that there would be no real noticeable difference in the general temperature of the macbook or the vibrations.

Chrislaw- I'm not sure but i'd rather play it safe and go with the 7200. thanks for giving me a heads up, i'll still look into it a bit.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes it is that easy.

CCC makes a bootable copy of your startup disk, I already booted from a clone, that sits in an external USB enclosure - it doesn't really sit, it is just connected to the connector, the enclosure is somewhere else.

7. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, i will do this soon and hopefully everything will go as planned.

8. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

wait wait but is it true that there will be a noticeable difference in vibration?

9. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

lol, i just asked the same question in my thread:p i should have checked here first. But has anyone really noticed a big difference in vibration?

10. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

what a coincidence- we have exactly the same computer, exactly the same ipod and exactly the same questions haha.
    but yeah, it would be nice if there is a noticeable change in vibrations

11. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

lol, yea that is quite the coincidence. I wish someone had the answer though haha, I really dont want to upgrade to a 7200rpm if theres a lot more vibration , and especially if the wd blue drive is faster than some 7200 rpm drives.

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

So long as your tighten the HD mounting screws, you shouldn't notice any change in vibration. When I upgraded my iBook from the 4200 to a 5400RPM drive, I felt no difference at all.

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I upgraded from a 232GB HDD with 7200RPM to a 297GB drive with 7200RPM and the vibrations have become less. Maybe it's the same with a 465GB drive.

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

lol @ true GB calculations.... :D

15. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

if you guys are interested it is post #4 here...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=717184&highlight=Seagate+Momentus+7200.4

I was in the same boat as both of you, but have decided to go with the Scorpio Blue

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Don't mock me, do you know how hard it is to divide 250 billion bytes by 1024 and 1024 and 1024? And that without a calculator. It would be easier if I'd just remember that stuff, but my brain doesn't compute that kind of staff.

On a funny side note:
    I sat on a train from work to home and a class of pupils (14 or 16 years old) entered the wagon. One discussion was about how many bytes a KB and MB and GB are.
    The first they got almost right.
    1000 bytes are 1KB.
    Then 100KB are 1MB and then again 10MB are 1GB.

And I thought children growing up with computers nowadays would know better. That is what one gets getting old.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but I have to distract myself from working on 160 clips from two cameras and synching them.

17. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going with this hard drive:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_WD5000BEVTRTL_500GB_Scorpio_Blue_2_5_.html

and this RAM:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2KIT25664BC1067_4GB_2x2GB_SO_DIMM_Memory.html

It should be fine right? And for the carbon copy cloner, i won't have any problems with the microsoft office license or anything right? I don't want to have any problems and I want everything to go smoothly. I'm worried things won't go as planned for the hard drive installation (for example: leopard won't boot, hard drive vibrations, etc.).

18. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

CCC is making a clone.
    It's like a human clone, indistinguishable from the source.
    It's even better than human cloning, as a clone of a clone of a clone ... of a human degrades in the quality of the genetic material, the clone of the clone of the clone .... of your HDD is still the same as the original clone.

19. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Honest, there was no mockery involved!! :cool: I realize how misleading HD manufacturer numbers can be to many people, and I knew exactly what advertised sizes your numbers converted to ;)

20. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i guess. i just have a bad feeling about this. i'll go through with it though, it should be fine.

21. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I know, I know, it was just tongue in cheek and my inability to convey irony in written form in another language other than my own.

I've learned the hard way and even deduced my own formula.

For every 100GB the manufacturers advertise, 7GB are missing.

22. Apple all life macrumors 6502

When I got mine I was very surprised, but now I am used to it.