Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Å

åidån

Original poster
Hi all,

I have before taken my battery cover off before, just a couple of times. After the first time, the left side was up a little, so I pushed and pulled it lightly and it seemed to fix the issue, I guess it was up about 1mm.

Now today, I removed the lot, I was curious, you know. That and I wanted to give the fan a bit of a brush off. Now as well as the left side not fitting correctly, there is about about a 0.5mm rise in the center (erring to the right side) of the cover.

Now not only is this annoying, I'm worried it is going to scratch my timber table, and my leather sleeve.

I have read other threads on this issue, and tried the solutions (pushing down harder, checking for obstructions etc) and I have also checked my screws and tightened them a little more. So, has anyone had this issue, and have they resolved it?

Any help greatly appreciated, and thanks for having such a brilliant community of willing helpful people!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Surely you've just voided your warranty in the name of curiosity...

I'd say take it apart again, check nothing's pushing it up, then try again. I know it's tedious, but it's all I can suggest.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Ok fair enough, I'm not entirely familiar with the new uMBs so forgive me. However, from experience, I will suggest looking at all the clips around the edge (if it's the same system as my MBP) to make sure all of them are alined correctly, and all of them are clipping in correctly when you put it back together.

Å

åidån

Original poster
Ok fair enough, I'm not entirely familiar with the new uMBs so forgive me. However, from experience, I will suggest looking at all the clips around the edge (if it's the same system as my MBP) to make sure all of them are alined correctly, and all of them are clipping in correctly when you put it back together.

Everything aligned and clicked in. It seems to have gone in a little more, enough now that I can live with it. I got the courage and ran it across my table and leather case, and it would appear it's either not bad enough, or the rubber feet stop it from doing any damage.

Thanks for your suggestions, and if anyone else has/had this problem and knows of a solution, it would be great to hear about it.

unixufan

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
Toronto,ON
Everything aligned and clicked in. It seems to have gone in a little more, enough now that I can live with it. I got the courage and ran it across my table and leather case, and it would appear it's either not bad enough, or the rubber feet stop it from doing any damage.

Thanks for your suggestions, and if anyone else has/had this problem and knows of a solution, it would be great to hear about it.

that's why I'm returning uMP and gonna a MBP 13'' which is real unibody.

ps. I had the same problem, went to genius bar, the guy wasn't willing to give me a replacement cover, just did some minor bending to the cover.
Then, I check all the UMPs on display, obviously, all the battery covers DID NOT perfectly fit. That's the way it is. Get used to it. Or get a MBP 13.

Å

åidån

Original poster
that's why I'm returning uMP and gonna a MBP 13'' which is real unibody.

ps. I had the same problem, went to genius bar, the guy wasn't willing to give me a replacement cover, just did some minor bending to the cover.
Then, I check all the UMPs on display, obviously, all the battery covers DID NOT perfectly fit. That's the way it is. Get used to it. Or get a MBP 13.

I think I'll take the get used to it option. I'm not sure I'd return a computer for something so minor, but I don't really have the option of visiting a Genius Bar, they're rather scarce here in NZ…

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Call Apple and ask for a battery door replacement, they'll ship one to you. If they say they can't, ask to speak to a supervisor.

I've been sent one, which made it worse, and then I had to send it in at which point they gave me a free external HDD to back up to! But I'm honestly thinking about asking if they can trade me for a new 13" Pro base model for my uMB 2.4. The anomaly is just so annoying because it's still present.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I had the same problem, went to genius bar, the guy wasn't willing to give me a replacement cover, just did some minor bending to the cover.

The battery cover and bottom panel on my unibody MacBook fit perfectly.

Å

åidån

Original poster
Call Apple and ask for a battery door replacement, they'll ship one to you. If they say they can't, ask to speak to a supervisor.

I've been sent one, which made it worse, and then I had to send it in at which point they gave me a free external HDD to back up to! But I'm honestly thinking about asking if they can trade me for a new 13" Pro base model for my uMB 2.4. The anomaly is just so annoying because it's still present.

I'm sure Apple would probably be helpful here, but Apple pretty much doesn't exist in NZ. The products are brought in by a company called Renaissance, and we have no Apple store I could visit to see a Genius on the issue. I guess all I can do is take it back to the re-seller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.