Unibody Macbook battery problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by markyrokz, Apr 18, 2009.

1. markyrokz macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I've been a PC user my entire life and recently grown accustom to the MAC World. I bought the Unibody Aluminum Macbook last night, 2.4Ghz- I'm still getting used to it but I like it, the only issue I have so far is the BATTERY LIFE!

I opened it up for the first time, it was half charged- I used it for about 5 minutes than plugged it in until it was fully charged and kept the power cord in the laptop over night (while it was turned off)
    anyway, today I've been using it wirelessly for the past 15 minutes and the battery life has gone down from 85% to 75% in this 15 minute or less period. The website says this has up to a 5 hour charge. All i'm doing is surfing the web and listening to music. Should I be worried? At this rate the charge will be gone in an hour or so..

PS* I haven't changed any of the energy saving settings.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The battery rating from apple is generally considered on the VERY VERY high side of things.

I usually get about 3-4 hours of battery with web browsing and music. If you're using any Flash content, expect that to plummet.

The best thing you can do is calibrate your battery: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

3. Apple all life macrumors 6502

Also with your screen fully turned up and your keyboard fully turned up it will drain very very quick. Best thing to do is turn off the keyboard when not needed.

4. markyrokz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. I haven't changed any settings so far, I'm guessing that the website says 5 hours of battery life with the settings it comes with? It's now at 60% since the time I posted. (still been doing the same thing: music/web)
    I'll try the calibration?
    :(

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Their 5 hours figure usually means the screen brightness turned down, with very low CPU usage. Manufacturer battery ratings rarely ever translate into real world usage. You can use them to compared one computer to another, but not as an expectation of what you'll get =\

You seem to be going 30%/hour. That works out to just over 3 hours, which isn't all that bad. Calibrate your battery when you get a chance, that got me an extra 20-30min or so it seems.

6. markyrokz thread starter macrumors newbie

yea that's true. i'm in the midst of it now at 93%, i'll let you guys know the outcome.