Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyroo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Hi, I am about to buy a used macbook and I live near an apple store, would I be able to go there and ask them for a record of repairs? I don't want to buy a machine that has failed so many times, thanks for reading the question!

jasonh427

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Hi, I am about to buy a used macbook and I live near an apple store, would I be able to go there and ask them for a record of repairs? I don't want to buy a machine that has failed so many times, thanks for reading the question!

check if it is still on warranty, if not it will be really expensive to fix

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK

There's so many machines out there that it would be impossible to log repairs for each machine, I think, and what if they went to a different Apple store for the repairs? I don't think that's very likely that there are records.

check if it is still on warranty, if not it will be really expensive to fix

Yeah, Apple will cover the cost if it's under warranty. If it isn't, it's going to come out of your own pocket.

hamlin

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada

Buy a refurbished one from the apple store, Apple gives you a one year warrenty with it and you save a bundle!

pyroo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Thanks for the reply, I think I'll play it safe and buy a refurbished MacBook instead.

kwood72

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
Thanks for the reply, I think I'll play it safe and buy a refurbished MacBook instead.

I purchased a refurb MacBook from the Apple online store in July for $759.00, and it works and looks like a new machine.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I purchased a refurb MacBook from the Apple online store in July for $759.00, and it works and looks like a new machine.

Yeah, often pretty much everything has been replaced, so it's pretty much a new computer. They're a nice option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.