Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Well I've owned my unibody refurbished MacBook for nearly 3 months now and it's been a great computer. However I am starting to notice around the hinges that there are tiny cracks that are starting to appear. My question is how long does this take to repair and get back? I don't want to be without a computer too long and the closest Apple store is nearly 100 miles away. This seems to be a common issue and I want to go ahead and get it repaired before it gets any worse.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Well I've owned my unibody refurbished MacBook for nearly 3 months now and it's been a great computer. However I am starting to notice around the hinges that there are tiny cracks that are starting to appear. My question is how long does this take to repair and get back? I don't want to be without a computer too long and the closest Apple store is nearly 100 miles away. This seems to be a common issue and I want to go ahead and get it repaired before it gets any worse.

Honestly, you can probably wait for as long as you want before repairing the cracks. I've heard reports of apple replacing plastics for free, even when the computer is out of warranty. It's an issue that apple has always been aware of, but never done anything about to fix for some god awful reason.

As far as length of time to repair, they may even be able to do it within an hour or two. If you bought the computer 3 months ago, they probably have replacement parts right in the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.