Unibody macbook cracks.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ivorito, Sep 24, 2011.

1. ivorito macrumors member

Dec 29, 2010
    hello, i have 2 cracks on the back of my uni-body white mac book. One is around the hinge and the other is at the edge of the apple logo. I have kept good care of it, never have dropped it and when i carry it is always in its case. I am still under the warrantee thing but is it covered? thanks.
  2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

Jul 12, 2011
    Yes and I believe they have some kinda free replacement for plastic cracking up.
  3. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

Jul 9, 2011
    Baltimore-Washington Metro Area
    I'm pretty sure this is only for pre-unibody MacBooks. Though, I could be wrong.
  4. Juan A macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2010
    I just picked up a 2010 MacBook used with the aforementioned cracks. I brought it ot the apple store in San Luis Obispo and they replace the entire lid assembly at no charge due to some kind of service announcement. I would definitely take it to an apple store and have their genius bar check it out. They may just replace it.
  5. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Jul 13, 2011
    What was the announcement? I'm nitpicking but, I could possibly have my really well used lid if it allows. :) (Previous owner didn't "appreciate" it and really "used" it. :p)

I don't want to spend 499.99 replacing the LCD (to get a new lid cover)..
  6. Juan A macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2010
    I did not see the announcement. All I know is I showed it to the genius at the apple store who looked it up on his computer. He said that there was some kind of internal memo about the casing. I would make an appointment at your nearest apple store and see what they tell you. Good luck!
  7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Cracking on the older MacBooks is a common problem. I've seen threads on there before about it, and people have gotten new computers or got it fixed (case replacement or something) under warranty.