Unibody MacBook cutting off randomly - HELLO?! HELP ME!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ahjjones, May 3, 2010.

1. ahjjones Guest

Hey,
    My MacBook has been having a very particular problem recently. When it's running off battery power it will just cut off randomly. I don't mean a soft shut down I mean it will just shut off! If I try to turn it back on it will start up, give me the chime, display the logo, and then turn off again. If I plug in the AC all is well. What could be going on? I'm getting worried here! :eek:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you monitored the battery capacity short before it shut off? Have you used iStat Pro or CoconutBattery to check details about your battery?

Have you reset the SMC?

3. ahjjones thread starter Guest

I appreciate the quick reply. I've been monitoring the battery capacity and it seems fine each time before it shuts off. The most recent shut off occurred at about 32% capacity remaining. CoconutBattery shows 39% remaining as well as 88% total battery capacity. I've never messed with the SMC, could you give me a few more details regarding that?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So I gather you don't have warranty anymore?

Maybe something is loose on the logic board or the DC board and it has to be looked at.

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Something wrong with the hardware. Has there been any water damage? Any drops or falls?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you calibrated your battery, to make sure that the readings are accurate?

7. ahjjones thread starter Guest

I have, I started doing that a long time ago.

8. ahjjones thread starter Guest

No, it's been babied it's whole life.

9. ahjjones thread starter Guest

Of corse I don't have the original warranty since it's so old but I believe I still have Apple Care but I doubt they'd do anything about it.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its a battery problem. happened to my MacBook Pro Core Duo, the battery was replaced twice and now it doesnt happen.